hotwired fuel pump??????

Buickcruiser

Hello
I am installing a hotwired fuel pump and I cannot determine what wire needs to be spliced into to make it switch activated (when you turn on the key). I have looked in my Haynes reference manual but still cannot determine which wire it is? According to the article on GNTtype.org it is a brass colored wire but are they talking about the brown wire? There is also a tan looking wire; I don’t want to cut into it to find out if controls the tail lights. If anyone has experience installing the relay any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
David

garyk1970
That was what I had a question about. According to that, it is a copper color wire but I only see a tan and a brown. Are they talking about the brown?? I don’t want to splice into the wrong wire. Also would it be different for an 84??
Thanks
David

From gnttype.org
"Just a word of caution. Follow the wires down to the side of the trunk floor. The copper colored wire :confused: :confused: is the one to attach the trigger wire to. It looks like bare copper wire but is actually coated. The coating is so hard, a regular scotch lock wouldn't make contack on mine, so I cut out a half inch section of the insulation and soldered the trigger wire (a small piece of 14 gauge from the relay prong 86) to there. I wrapped it in tape and put corrugated wire guard over it."

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO YOUr CONNECTOINS IN THE TRUNK LIKE I DID ,THE COLOR ON MY 87 WAS TAN W/WHITE STRIPE. look for the connector under the trunk carpet behind the drivers tail light,i was able to find a "soft" wire there.i dont recommend tampering with the hard copper wire sections.

sorry for the caps lock.

you are welcome to call me for tech support if you are at the car now.