Hot Wheels Collectors?

GeneralB44

www.pinkhumpy.com
Any hot wheels collectors here? I stumbled on a cool picture/price guide in barnes and noble the other day... got me thinking of digging out that old collection of mine, and displaying my fav's and ebaying the rest. Some of the prices seemed pretty crazy though... are there really people out there paying $200 + for one car from the 70's?!?!?!?! Nuts.

There was a guy that bought a Hot Wheels car from the 50's or 60s that was a volkswagon with a surfboard (or something like that, I remember the auction but not all the details), and sold it on ebay for $54,000!!!!!!!! I kid you not, they are HUGE collectibles.

There is a guy here in KC who used to have a large collection of rare muscle cars, and still owns a couple of car lots here in town. He sold all his muscle cars and got into Hot Wheels BIG TIME! In fact, he has HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of them. His huge basement is stocked floor to ceiling with so many Hot Wheels it would literally make your head spin. He's so well known around here, that he gets a call from Toys R Us and other retailers when they get a big shipment in so he can have first dibs on them. Tell me that doesn't come at a premium! It's just crazy.

too bad when I was a kid I took my Dad's hammer to all mine for a big wreck. :mad: . I cant believe how much they would of been worth.

"" In fact, he has HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of them. His huge basement is stocked floor to ceiling with so many Hot Wheels it would literally make your head spin. He's so well known around here, that he gets a call from Toys R Us and other retailers when they get a big shipment in so he can have first dibs on them. Tell me that doesn't come at a premium! It's just crazy.""

This sounds exactly like my brother-in-law in Albuquerque. He has more than Target, Toys R Us, and Wal-Mart combined. He goes to all the "little" toy swap meets all over the place and comes up with more. He has even had people call from Target and Toys R Us to see if he has any that their customer's are looking for. One room of his house is set up like a display. All the walls have peg board and are at least 6 cars deep on each wall...ceiling to floor. He finally figured out how much money he had "invested" in this and could have had his V-8 Vega wagon built a long time ago.
:D

That sounds like me. I have over 7 thousand HotWheels cars all different in some way or another(no duplicates). My cellar is getting decorated with these cars from floor to the joists in the celing. Ive been collecting seriously from 1995 to now and was always interested in them since the 80's. My only gripe in this hobby is the dealers that hit the stores first thing in the morning. They only care about the cash instead of the cars themselves. If you go to any store that has these cars(among other collectables) chances are you will run into the typical dealer who looks just like the collectable dealer from the Simpsons. No lie. They really do look like that. Its a fun hobby though. Im always looking for cars that I dont have to add to the growing display. Anyone that has any HotWheels cars that they are interested in selling LMK please at aszalimas@comcast.net Thanks, STEVE Z:)

Hey GeneralB44,
Can you pass along that price guide you saw?
I don't have many, but I would be willing to part with them for a price.

I still have my 67,68 & 69 Hot wheels & matchboxes about 450 of them.
Why I saved them I will never know?
Unfortunately I played with the firebird, charger, camaro, stangs the most which made them more used looking.

I hated the weird ones like the special delivery, beatnik, deoria, twin mill, pyton. All those stayed in nice condition.

That special VOLKS WAGON bus I think had the surf boards go inside & not outside. I could be wrong cause my bus has the outer ones.

Originally posted by SLZ
My only gripe in this hobby is the dealers that hit the stores first thing in the morning. They only care about the cash instead of the cars themselves. If you go to any store that has these cars(among other collectables) chances are you will run into the typical dealer who looks just like the collectable dealer from the Simpsons. [/email] Thanks, STEVE Z:)

I was at the local walmart & toys R us looking for a toy for my son.
I saw the same guy in both stores filling his basket with everything they had on the rack. I feel bad for the kids as these idiots are so freaking greedy SOB's

My brother is one of those A-holes only with Nascar & Sports & KISS stuff.. his garage looks like a warhouse. I hope it catches fire

Good Hobby if you have the patience for it, investment as well.

My kids ages 1 & 3 already have around 500-600 hotwells still in the packages. I figure by the time they're 20+ years old, they may be worth something. Man, I sure wish I would have kept hold of mine when I was a young buck :(

Ray

I think I'm just old school, but buying all these cool little cars just to leave them in their original packages and never play with them is just dumb. I mean, as an adult I guess it's a little more understandable, but playing with my Hot Wheels was one of those things as a kid I'll always remember.

Originally posted by dhauser
I think I'm just old school, but buying all these cool little cars just to leave them in their original packages and never play with them is just dumb. I mean, as an adult I guess it's a little more understandable, but playing with my Hot Wheels was one of those things as a kid I'll always remember.

Yeah I know what you mean, but believe me, my boys have probably 50 or more loose ones laying around.

Also I was going to say earlier, another good book for Hot Wheels is Tomarts book of Hot Wheels. It has everything you need to know and also a current price guide.

Ray

Yeah well said dhauser, PLAY with them!

When Hot wheels came out I was in 5th grade.
Our teacher MRS FIORE allowed us guys to set up
a hot wheels track on the counter next to the windows.

We placed to power houses at each end & did time trials
MY JACK RABBIT was the FASTEST car.

A few times we set up a ramp out the window to see how far they would fly onto the snow.. After school we all ran out to get them.