HOT ROD magaizine, no respect for Grand Nationals

I quit subscribing to that magazine about 15 years ago. the editor and writers were
only interested in doing articles and taking pics of '69 red Camaros at all of the Car
Craft shows I worked at or attended. If you didn't own one they passed you by!

I quit subscribing to that magazine about 15 years ago. the editor and writers were
only interested in doing articles and taking pics of '69 red Camaros at all of the Car
Craft shows I worked at or attended. If you didn't own one they passed you by!
I gave up on most car mags 8+years ago because of similar reasons. Had subscriptions or bought car mags at store since the late 70's always looking forward to next issues but never really impressed or satisfied, sure some good stuff along the way, tech articles,pictures,and lots of opinions(theirs) but they became predictable. Enter the internet and endless available sites and forums, could never go back to magazines, despite a sea of opinions on the net, far more valuable in all aspects and more entertaining plus.

The entertainment factor both positive and negative of the internet sites and chat boards, far outweigh the value of a forced opinion that is one sided and lacking in diversity from a rag.

Just my .02

The magazine stuff has changed and not all for the better. I still like Car Craft and pick one up every now and then. If you don't own an LS engine your not on the in crowd it appears:rolleyes: BUT on a more positive note and back to the op I did get lots of respect at my local track this weekend:p yup and a lot of people were taking pictures of the old Buick and it wasn't because of my good looks;)

A few things...

First, if you're a subscriber to anything but GM High Tech Performance and are expecting a regular dose of TR coverage, you're simply wasting your time and money. GMHTP caters to everything "late-model" GM EFI from 1985-present. Mags like Hot Rod are more a "lifestyle" brand, and primarily focus on the west coast aspect of hot rodding. While there are quite a few Turbo Buicks scattered across SoCal, they're not as popular out there as say, the Midwest or on the east coast. So it's a given that you won't regularly read about them in HR. They're not really their demographic anyway.

Second, being in the industry myself I can say it's not the easiest thing in the world being an editor of a car magazine (or two or three). You're constantly working, and under the knife trying to meet deadlines, shooting features and racing coverage, writing, editing, scheduling stories, working on project cars (not including your own), scheduling meetings, while traveling all across the country for the sake of your career, passion, hobby, and the industry as a whole.

It's a great job and it's definitely my dream career, but it's not easy. We don't exactly make a ton of money either. And as annoying as the ads are in the magazines, those ads are what keep food on our tables and our electricity on. And help us find our next project cars, to bring you guys new content every month. It works the same way in the online media realm too, believe it or not.

Speaking of which, most of the magazines that you can buy at your local supermarket or bookstore are available online for purchase in a downloadable format. There's also a ton of great content on said magazine's website. There's no denying that online media is here to stay, but there's also those who still prefer to take a print publication to the john with hem, or for the sake of collecting.

Herooftheday: if you plan on keeping your Buick for any length of time, then this is the forum you want to be on. You're not dealing with a bunch of 22 year old kids here like you would be on most Mustang or F-body forums. These guys are the real deal, and most of them have been tweaking these cars since the 80s. Put your ego aside, and show some respect.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

A few things...

First, if you're a subscriber to anything but GM High Tech Performance and are expecting a regular dose of TR coverage, you're simply wasting your time and money. GMHTP caters to everything "late-model" GM EFI from 1985-present. Mags like Hot Rod are more a "lifestyle" brand, and primarily focus on the west coast aspect of hot rodding. While there are quite a few Turbo Buicks scattered across SoCal, they're not as popular out there as say, the Midwest or on the east coast. So it's a given that you won't regularly read about them in HR. They're not really their demographic anyway.

Second, being in the industry myself I can say it's not the easiest thing in the world being an editor of a car magazine (or two or three). You're constantly working, and under the knife trying to meet deadlines, shooting features and racing coverage, writing, editing, scheduling stories, working on project cars (not including your own), scheduling meetings, while traveling all across the country for the sake of your career, passion, hobby, and the industry as a whole.

It's a great job and it's definitely my dream career, but it's not easy. We don't exactly make a ton of money either. And as annoying as the ads are in the magazines, those ads are what keep food on our tables and our electricity on. And help us find our next project cars, to bring you guys new content every month. It works the same way in the online media realm too, believe it or not.

Speaking of which, most of the magazines that you can buy at your local supermarket or bookstore are available online for purchase in a downloadable format. There's also a ton of great content on said magazine's website. There's no denying that online media is here to stay, but there's also those who still prefer to take a print publication to the john with hem, or for the sake of collecting.

Herooftheday: if you plan on keeping your Buick for any length of time, then this is the forum you want to be on. You're not dealing with a bunch of 22 year old kids here like you would be on most Mustang or F-body forums. These guys are the real deal, and most of them have been tweaking these cars since the 80s. Put your ego aside, and show some respect.

I like to think I earn a little respect but hey, ya can't control other people.

I do try to understand what goes into print media. And I do swing into the hr website among others. It just doesn't have the same tech that a message board might. Even the articles just seem to leave a lot out, maybe there are space constraints, time constrains or something I am missing. Even your publication doesn't catch my eye anymore. Though I do swing by your website too.

I will say it isn't hard to ruffle up old, passionate Buick people. Just print up some stuff they perceive as disparaging to their make.

Great post, and we are glad you swing through 02ws686gn. Without you wed probably never see a Buick in print.

For whatever it's worth, threes weeks ago or so MSN had a article on the web. The top 20 muscle cars of all time, that changed history. First was a 1948 olds rocket, two cars from the 1950's, six from the 1960's two in 1970, and 1971. ONLY one from 1972 thur 1990. Guess what it's the 1987 GRAND NATIONAL. The rest from 1991 until now. So again this is my second post. SCREW Hot Rod Mag.

Also I have had this grandma Buick since Sept. 1987. May be new to this site but not to the car.

read thru the first 3 pages, then decided to post this:

did any of you actually read the paragraph that you are getting so freakin outraged over? it was about 78-87 A and G bodies- "those Monte Carlo SS and GN-like cars"... they didn't say anything negative about the GN, just used it as an example of the highest end cars built on that platform...it doesn't even say that the car in the pic is a GN- it was just used as an example of the types of cars that used that platform.

comprehension is key..

so if this got covered in the last 3 pages, well, that's good... but i could only read thru 3 pages of people getting all offended over a perceived slight of their precious favorite car that was never even written in the article in question.
So you think the article portrayed the Grand National/turbo Buick in a good light then?

I will give them props for drag week and power tour. Great ideas and seem to get a pretty good turn out from what I saw last year at Ennis and this year at the college where they setup in the parking lot. Had a great time at both events.

I agree 100%. IMO Power Tour and Drag Week are two of the best events in the car world today. I'm considering doing a few legs of the Power Tour this year (although I'm not crazy about the route). ..but it still disappoints me Hot Rod printed anything with the heading: "Best hot rods for 16 year olds" then showed a picture of a Grand National (I concur it was probably a clone).

Read the MSN article for yourself and come to your own conclusion. Outrage hardly, offended hardly, just posted the article story as an FYI.

I agree with novaderrik about you guys getting worked up over nothing.

Besides, you guys think the Hot Rod article is bad try owning a 3rd generation F-body...I would rather be criticized for driving a grandma car than driving a trailer park car:rolleyes: . Yes I had a pretty sweet 89 IROC back in the day and still wouldn't mind having another one today.

I agree with novaderrik about you guys getting worked up over nothing.

Besides, you guys think the Hot Rod article is bad try owning a 3rd generation F-body...I would rather be criticized for driving a grandma car than driving a trailer park car:rolleyes: . Yes I had a pretty sweet 89 IROC back in the day and still wouldn't mind having another one today.

:D:D:D

demotivational_poster_iroc_z.jpg

So you think the article portrayed the Grand National/turbo Buick in a good light then?

they used the GN and Monte SS as the versions that they compare every other G body to..

so, yes.

you have been less offended if they showed a pic of one of those Century hatchback looking monstrosities and said that a GN was actually just this car with cool motor, trans, and rear end?

79CenturyTurboCoupe1.jpg

The entertainment factor both positive and negative of the internet sites and chat boards,
far outweigh the value of a forced opinion that is one sided and lacking in diversity from a rag.

Just my .02

X2...
I wonder how long it will be before hot rod starts featuring all the rice burners out there!

I think everybody misunderstood. They are not talking about Grand National cars.
"These full framed Monte SS and Grand National, like, cars are still widely available.
The attribute is that these cars accept most any GM engine. "Once thought of as grandma's car".
I think they are saying you could pick up a Regal and put a big powerful motor in it.

they used the GN and Monte SS as the versions that they compare every other G body to..

so, yes.

you have been less offended if they showed a pic of one of those Century hatchback looking monstrosities and said that a GN was actually just this car with cool motor, trans, and rear end?

79CenturyTurboCoupe1.jpg
What's wrong with the Century hatchback? Could be had with the same turbo engine as the regal. Better looking than a mcss aerocoupe imo.

Still just outdated print sensationalism. One foot in the grave. When was the last time you read a hard copy of a mag or newspaper. The only mags I crack are old issues I come across when searching through my hoardings.

I have recently let my subscription to Hot Rod run out as well. I have been a loyal subscriber to GM High Tech for years though. It has more of the cars I'm interested in, Camaros, Corvettes & of course the baddest of all GNs. Peace brothers!