Hot air to innercooled

dav770431

Tyler
I have the 84 hot air t type and i would like to convert it to the innercooled and get more power out of it. the motor is mostly stock what should i do first and what kinda turbo should i get?

well first welcome to the board.

second sad to see another hotair convertered but to each their own.

Three i would start with the search key. this has been asked time and time again so there is a few threads out there to help you.

Four once you do alot of research we can guide you from there.

Five Welcome again.

Six Turbo choice is a huge topic. what do you want from the car 5 years from now.

Definitely devote a week or so of hard reading and researching before making any big decisions. I understand the thing about wanting to go faster, I was there. I converted to IC as well, probably a little too soon. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably stick with the hot air, max it out, then if still not happy convert. There are more options (not a ton, but more than I knew about) now that give you pretty good performance. I know of at least one hot air in the tens, and a handful in the 11's. Unless your goal is to hit single digits, you could be happy sticking to hot air. The hot air guys just have to do more research, and work a little harder. I actually want another car so I can test out the things I have learned on the hot air. I jumped too soon to IC, and now am making an even bigger jump. I seem to be impatient, which is my biggest problem. With patience, you can read, learn, test, and go fast hot air or IC.

If I had it to do all over again, this is what I would do with a hot air:

PORTED HEADS WITH UPGRADED SPRINGS (BIG VALVE? MAYBE)
STOCK HEADERS, WELDED AND PORTED. MAYBE POSTONS.
PORTED STOCK INTAKE
JAY JACKSON PORTED THROTTLE BODY
TA-33 OR WHATEVER THE UPGRADED HA TURBO IS NOW
FREE FLOWING SINGLE SHOT 3" EXHAUST
RAZORS PAC ALKY
ROLLER CAM FROM FULL THROTTLE
F BODY RAD WITH INTREPID ELEC FANS
87 ECM/MAF CONVERSION
TURBOTWEAK CHIPS
60LB INJECTORS
BFG DRAG RADIALS
2,800 - 3,000 CONVERTER
GOOD REBUILT 200R4

That is what I would do if I were to do it all over again. That would be a good start, but then read every single post in the hot air section to see what works and what doesn't. Lots of great guys in here, and on the board in general can guide you. Most importantly, ENJOY THE RIDE! :)

(If I had it to do all over again, this is what I would do with a hot air:

PORTED STOCK INTAKE
RAZORS PAC ALKY
87 ECM/MAF CONVERSION
TURBOTWEAK CHIPS
60LB INJECTORS
BFG DRAG RADIALS
2,800 - 3,000 CONVERTER
GOOD REBUILT 200R4

That is what I would do if I were to do it all over again. That would be a good start, but then read every single post in the hot air section to see what works and what doesn't. Lots of great guys in here, and on the board in general can guide you. Most importantly, ENJOY THE RIDE! :)[/QUOTE]

Good advice here since this describes my car. The roller cam is going in now as we speak since the head gasket finally let go. I was happy with my car with a stock cam and the bigger roller cam can only help. Brad

Been there too, done that as well. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't. First, because I don't want or need to run 9's in the quarter mile. Second, because it's a PITA. But I did learn a ton along the way that I otherwise would not have, so it was still a worthwhile exercise.

I am now going back to hot air, because I want to know what I can do with it. I have no illusions about running 10's nor do I care. I went IC very early on and regret not putting the effort into learning how to tune and max out what I had first.

If you want to tinker and learn and max out what you have, a hot air will give you plenty of exercise. If you want to go faster easier, an IC setup will give you the base you need. If that's the case, PM me, I'll be selling some IC parts pretty soon... :)

I converted two hot air cars.I just installed an 87 setup in both from ecm to
pistons .I think in the long run thats the easy way out

Well- here is a list for starters...

Convert HA car to IC car- Conversion parts list

All front engine accessory brackets with pulleys and belt tensioner
Complete intake with all sensors
87 ignition module, coil, and all wiring for it
87 hard metal heater lines on top of intake
87 throttle body
87 throttle cable
87 MAF with air intake tube and air box
87 detent cable
Downpipe
87 catalytic converter
Drivers side oil fill neck
Passenger side header
Passenger side valve cover with vent tube
87 transmission dipstick and tube
87 heater core
87 alternator, ac compressor, power steering pump with remote reservoir
A/C lines
87 radiator hold down
87 radiator
Oil cooler lines
Main engine wiring harness
87 fuel lines
Intercooler with all brackets
Intercooler fan
Intercooler piping
Intercooler scoop
87 air dams and deflector
87 Turbo
Turbo brackets and heat shield
Turbo oil feed and return lines
Electric fans
All hardware including any nuts, bolts, or fasteners needed

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/250756-need-help-85-87-conversion.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ho.../318759-ha-ic-conversion-parts-list-help.html

I thought for sure you would forget the heater core.I tryed to find something you forgot but i think you nailed it
ECM!!!

Definitely devote a week or so of hard reading and researching before making any big decisions. I understand the thing about wanting to go faster, I was there. I converted to IC as well, probably a little too soon. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably stick with the hot air, max it out, then if still not happy convert. There are more options (not a ton, but more than I knew about) now that give you pretty good performance. I know of at least one hot air in the tens, and a handful in the 11's. Unless your goal is to hit single digits, you could be happy sticking to hot air. The hot air guys just have to do more research, and work a little harder. I actually want another car so I can test out the things I have learned on the hot air. I jumped too soon to IC, and now am making an even bigger jump. I seem to be impatient, which is my biggest problem. With patience, you can read, learn, test, and go fast hot air or IC.

If I had it to do all over again, this is what I would do with a hot air:

PORTED STOCK INTAKE
RAZORS PAC ALKY
87 ECM/MAF CONVERSION
TURBOTWEAK CHIPS
60LB INJECTORS
BFG DRAG RADIALS
2,800 - 3,000 CONVERTER
GOOD REBUILT 200R4

That is what I would do if I were to do it all over again. That would be a good start, but then read every single post in the hot air section to see what works and what doesn't. Lots of great guys in here, and on the board in general can guide you. Most importantly, ENJOY THE RIDE! :)

Been there too, done that as well. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't. First, because I don't want or need to run 9's in the quarter mile. Second, because it's a PITA. But I did learn a ton along the way that I otherwise would not have, so it was still a worthwhile exercise.

I am now going back to hot air, because I want to know what I can do with it. I have no illusions about running 10's nor do I care. I went IC very early on and regret not putting the effort into learning how to tune and max out what I had first.

If you want to tinker and learn and max out what you have, a hot air will give you plenty of exercise. If you want to go faster easier, an IC setup will give you the base you need. If that's the case, PM me, I'll be selling some IC parts pretty soon... :)

In my wildest dreams I never thought I'd hear these words ever!!! After all the bashing and name calling many have received for trying to inform people that converting to intercooled does not automatically bring a 10 second Turbo Buick it seems now that things have come full circle.

I converted two hot air cars.I just installed an 87 setup in both from ecm to
pistons .I think in the long run thats the easy way out

And that's been the point exactly.

Sure you can! Just use an 86/87 intake (flows better than the HA one, too!),
modify a Accufab upper plenum, fab up a pipe from the turbo to the IC,
use a 86/87 IC and a 86/87 fan & radiator and let her rip.

Save your money...

Drag radials...
Upgraded injectors
Upgraded 340 walbro fuel pump
87 ecm and reduced timing
75 horse "Wet" nitrous system

It works... it is safe... and you will go faster than the intercooler boys ;)

Drag radials...
Upgraded injectors
Upgraded 340 walbro fuel pump
87 ecm and reduced timing
75 horse "Wet" nitrous system

It works... it is safe... and you will go faster than the intercooler boys ;)

so us HA block guys can use nitrous ontop of alky and everything else we do to it?

Dunno if you have all the hotair parts you need to go back,but I've still got a pile of random stuff from my hotair.

You can have any of it you need,just pay the shipping. I tried selling some of it,and it's just not worth the effort...:rolleyes::cool:

Later,Sean

Yes...

so us HA block guys can use nitrous on top of alky and everything else we do to it?

I have propain on mine... and nitrous.

I used nitrous from the beginning as "Hot-air"; TA-33C, Ported intake, GN1 aluminum heads, 206/206 camshaft, Translator +, 36lb injectors, ATR exhaust (complete from headers to 3" Single shot).

I never lost a street race. I beat the quick WS-6 6 speed TA in town, and several hot Mustangs in Colorado's thin air before I converted the car to intercooled.

A 75 horse wet system will really wake up you non-intercooled car. It will equate to over 100 horses at the rear wheels due to it's intercooling affect.
You will be amazed at what it does to turbo spool. :)

I have propain on mine... and nitrous.

I used nitrous from the beginning as "Hot-air"; TA-33C, Ported intake, GN1 aluminum heads, 206/206 camshaft, Translator +, 36lb injectors, ATR exhaust (complete from headers to 3" Single shot).

I never lost a street race. I beat the quick WS-6 6 speed TA in town, and several hot Mustangs in Colorado's thin air before I converted the car to intercooled.

A 75 horse wet system will really wake up you non-intercooled car. It will equate to over 100 horses at the rear wheels due to it's intercooling affect.
You will be amazed at what it does to turbo spool. :)

but what if you allready have a intercooler with a billet turbo that allready as a quik spool?

Sure you can! Just use an 86/87 intake (flows better than the HA one, too!),
modify a Accufab upper plenum, fab up a pipe from the turbo to the IC,
use a 86/87 IC and a 86/87 fan & radiator and let her rip.

more details, please?

If you wanna be fast fast like single digits fast than sure look into getting an ic setup. But if thats not for you then stay hot air and learn to have fun with it. Trust me you can have one helluva street car and stay true to the car. If u want a ic'd car i'd say go buy one.