Hot air recipe???

pcella84GN

Pcella84GN
I saw in one of the recepies that u can get 20psi out of a hot air? How????
I got mine up 15psi, with still bit of knock. Then drove it before i put it away
for the winter (it was cold outside maybe 44deg.) it seemed to ping at WOT alot. Do u have to turn the boost down as it gets cold out?

pcella84GN said:
I saw in one of the recepies that u can get 20psi out of a hot air? How????
I got mine up 15psi, with still bit of knock. Then drove it before i put it away
for the winter (it was cold outside maybe 44deg.) it seemed to ping at WOT alot. Do u have to turn the boost down as it gets cold out?

How? Combinations of; Lots of octane, less timing and/or Alky.
You need about 110 - 116 octane to run 20psi on the stock unit.
You may get away with less octane, but .......... I would not risk it.
I am sure the experts will chine in here.

Colder air is denser, so more O2. You should be a ble to run higher boost in colder temps ......... I suspect you may have been running lean.
Do you have a scantool to see what your O2 and BLM's were doing in the colder weather?

What kind of shape is your fuel system in? I could not get over 18 psi without knock no matter what I tried until I replaced my worn out fuel pump and hotwired it. PRESTO!!!
Instant knock remover. Allowed me to run 18 psi on pump with a Red Armstrong 93 chip all day long with almost no knock. Race gas....I could max the turbo out...21-22 psi.

my entire fuel system has been all upgraded / #30inj/fuel pump/afpr/hot wire/TT chip/ fuel set at 43line off..... everything else is stock. any recommendations that might help me increase my boost without knock/.
thanks
paul

I have the same goals as you. You are at the wall that all hot air owners get to if they are serious about power. The cheapest way to get boost without race gas is alky injection or an after market intercooler. Alky injection is easier to install (and locate) and can get you to 20-22 ibs boost.

My winter project in progress is to port the heads and intake, TA33C turbo, 36lbs inj. and hook up the Razor alky kit. Just my thoughts-There are other ways as well-Brad

There are many suppliers which you can find using Google or look at the used parts for sale section. I bought a Razor kit from Alkycontrol for $585 which included the three bar MAP. Julio Don(Alkycomtrol) is the moderator on this website for Alky injection. Give him a call. I have not used this kit because I am upgrading other parts of the car first so I do not know how it will perform. Other people are impressed with it. Brad

To run over 17lbs safely, you need a walbro fuel pump, and adjustable fuel regulator, and some 36lb injectors. Then run 110 octane race gas, you should be able to get up to 20lbs. But remember with a stock turbo, heads, and intake, your system will feel flat over about 17lbs. This was my experience. Then after I got some poston headers, 3in DP, and ported my intake with a TA 33, the car seemed to pull like a freight train. Also get a single shot 3in exhaust for optimal flow.

Your best bet right now is to get your fuel system beefed up, then port your intake and heads, run a fatter turbo, and get some good flowing exhaust

Shoot me a PM if you need some advice.
Matt Wenning