Hot Air Hot Wire Fuel Pump

mrtiptop

Could someone help me find a Primery (Trigger) Wire for my new relay Switch in the Engine Compartment of my 84 T-Type ? Thank You ! Craig

I used the stock relay as the trigger. The pigtail is near the powersteering pump in the wiring harness, plug a wire into that and run it to your relay and the fuel pump will operate normal. Sorry if that was already shown in the link, it won't let me click on it.

the caspers harness mounts the relay under the rear bumper, and is triggered off said "original" fuel pump wiring.

Originally posted by TType84
the caspers harness mounts the relay under the rear bumper, and is triggered off said "original" fuel pump wiring.

I like that hotwire kit. I get a free one from racetronix every now and then because the guys I work with sell the Walbro 340 pumps and it's cheaper for them to buy the GN kit than to order the pump by itself when sold by a Corvette or other vendor. The only thing I never understood is why they would mount the relay near the bumper and not in the trunk for protection.

its sealed like 5x over.. unless you launch boats with your buick it should be safe :D

run a signal wire frmo the back of the car to the front of the car then..

so, your fuel pump is going to turn on whenever the ignition is turned on?

Originally posted by mrtiptop
I still would like to mount the Relay under the Hood!

That is how my car is set up. There's a wire sticking out of your wiring harness near the power steering pump/ inner fender. If I remember right the connector is black. Run your trigger wire off of that and the fuel pump will operate like stock. In other words the computer will still control the operation because you don't want it running with the key on, engine off.

Thanks to Cool 84. I found it in the wire Harness at the double Brackett next to the Power Steering pump !

16 Ga. wire from the panel? That's no better than the factory wiring.
The whole idea is to get direct power to from the alternator for maximum voltage. The fuse panel is not a good spot.
Direct power defeats the ECM prime and oil pressure switch functions.
Relay under the bumper... No problem as they are sealed along with all the connectors.
Locating the relay under the bumper reduces the wire length and complexity of the harness and its installation. The whole idea is PnP not drill, splice and solder.

Racetronix does make some special harnesses for the TR which have the relay up front. This is mainly for people who want to run a pump booster in the engine compartment.

I think he was talking about the trigger wire. Is there any evidence that having the relay near the pump provides any extra voltage? I figured the wire originates from the alternator regardless so it didn't matter where in that line the relay was located. I'm asking this seriously, not trying to flame you. With the one I made, there was a huge difference just in the sound of the pump with the hotwire.

On a different subject, does Ractronix sell a high performance coil for the 86-87 cars?

The location of the relay should not effect the voltage.
The location of the power feed and the length of the suppy wire will.
If you ever laid out a Racetronix HW harness you would appreciate the simplicity of the configuration and why certain components are located where they are such as the relay and the extra ground wires. There are many ways to build a HW harness. The idea is to keep it as simple as possible, reduce the wires used and lengths, reduce clutter, maximize performance and reliability.

Accel HP coils in-stock:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57431

Not sure what direction your going with your hotwire now, but I was looking through some of my old notes and here is the part# for the sealed 40amp relay that I have mounted at the rear bumper: 12193611. Apparently a GM part, because I had down that you could get it from Casper's, but also the GM dealer.
Just thought this would be some good info to put out. Sealed relay ;)

Relays were P&B then Siemens now Tyco. Companies are being bought and sold non-stop. It is the same 40 amp mil. spec. relay we have always used. GM on the other hand usually supplies 30 amp relays for most applications. The manufacture can be Omron (was Duotec), Tyco, Hella or Bosch. Depends on who is supplying them the best deal. The Weatherpack socket is usually a Delphi part which when bought as a single item can easily cost as much as or more than the relay. At the end of the day when you factor in the cost of the parts used and labor in the Racetronix harness it is a deal that is hard to beat.... but... this topic has been covered in a thread about two years ago so we will not go there again. There will always be the D-I-Y and the PnP people.

Suggestion

I'm new to GN game, but I have an 85 setup in a cutlass. This hotwire thing sounds interesting, but may I offer some input...

As far as relays go, any VW (any euro car) in a junkyard has a slew of Bosch relays under the hood. Most are simple four wire hookups available in a variety of amperage. Around here a relay costs about $1 a piece at the local U-Wrench-It.

My final input is this...I was wondering if anyone was implying that the fuel pump would be running even though the engine is off?

Sounds like bad business to me. Not to rag anyone, but a running fuel pump with no motor running is bad ju-ju. Especially in the event of an accident.

Once again not trying to step on anyone's toes, just don't want to hear of anyone getting hurt.
:rolleyes:

Re: Suggestion

Originally posted by gnutlass
As far as relays go, any VW (any euro car) in a junkyard has a slew of Bosch relays under the hood. Most are simple four wire hookups available in a variety of amperage. Around here a relay costs about $1 a piece at the local U-Wrench-It.

The possible result of using a junkyard relay is obvious not to mention the cutting and splicing required.

As I have stated before on this forum... there will always be those people who take the D-I-Y approach and those that take the PnP approach. What Racetronix manufactures would be very hard to duplicate as a one-off item for the price we sell the complete harness system for. Anybody who owns one can appreciate what I am referring to. If you have not had a Racetronix harness in your hand then you can not.

Too each his own...

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

PS. We will not use Bosch relays in our kits.