Hopin to buy a GN soon

Future-GN-Owner

Boostaholic
Well long story short I have an 03 Ford Lightning (far from stock) that needs a companion. The future Mrs said if I sell my Harley, Bronco, and dirtbike I could get the Lightning a new playmate. I have been trolling for awhile and am in the process of reading a few Kirban books about GNs and decided this is what I need/want for my "family" vehicle since a wife and kids will not fit in the truck. I look forward to learning and reading alot and hopefully in the next few months be a first time GN owner! Matt

Welcome to the dark side :biggrin: Just so you know our cars are far from "family cars" you might be able to wing it but not the best idea for a day to day family bus. Good luck with your hunt :cool:

By family car I only meant enough room for the future Mrs and a kid or two in the future. She will have the daily driver family mobile and I have a work beater/dd. The Lightning only gets about 3k a year put on it so I figure about the same for a GN. Car shows, drag strip, cruisin around town, gettin groceries :biggrin: etc. I get 10mpg with my L on a good day so hopefully a "warmed-up" GN would do better.

sounds like you're off to a good start by reading up on these cars. they have numerous quirks. You have to be patient. Read as much as you can. Kirban's books are a very good place to start.

BTW, I've got a lot of appreciation for both generation of Lightnings. I have one buddy with a black '94 and another buddy with a red '00. You can haul firewood on Saturday morning and then haul A$$ on Saturday night! :cool: not much room for a family though, like you said.

potential g/n owner

Welcome to the g/n family, the car that your mom warned you about! :biggrin: When the time comes for you to purchace a g/n, i would strongly suggest you take some one with you who is very knowledgeable about buick g/ns or contact this board to locate members who reside in or around your area. Have an idea as to what amount of horsepower or direction you want to take your g/n into, or you could purchase a g/n thats been modified allready "BUT" i warn you be careful because these things can be a handful when they break those tires loose :biggrin: :biggrin: , i went thru alot of different tire makes trying to find a tire that would give me some traction i ended up with mickey t. drag radials. trust me your gonna love these cars. In the famous words of lord vader - let your feelings go,follow them to the darkside :eek:

I just finsished the 400+ page Kirbans guide to 86-87 Turbo Reagals and learned ALOT more then I would have guessed. I am now starting the Kirbans guide to buying a Turbo Regal book and am taking it all in. I plan on buying a modded GN (prob off a forum in hopes of finding one that is done right and a solid 11 sec car). I bought my Lightning last year all stock and now have 6k plus in it and still going. I did all the wrenching myself and accodrding to similar setups the truck should be sitting about 400hp/500tq at the wheels and be a low 12 sec truck with the slicks (have not made it to track or dyno yet). Somethin just tells me it will be sweet to tow the GN behind my black Lightning to the strip and run them both ;)

lol yeah that would be sweat,:cool: Naw I don't want to run that grand national, FINE then , tell you what, I'll run you with my tow vehicle and bust your butt hahahahahhhahaha !!!! What fun could be had there for sure!!:biggrin: If you find one that you like, take the advice that was given in a earlier post for sure! Ask if someone on here is close to you and would look it over with you. I am NOT saying you are dumb or misimformed so please don't take it that way but someone that knows these cars would be able to help you look for rust, problems, etc . These cars are a lot of fun but like anything else you don't want to get someone elses problem child !!:mad: They are an expensive toy to have for sure! On the other hand though they are the wildest sleeper you could ever have lol, most of the young guys don't even know what it is unless its a honda grrrrrr. I enjoy putting the hurt on them most of all !! Plus its great running around in a car with cold air, gets 22 + MPG and at only 17lbs of boost mine runs 11.77, race gas and boost turned up and you get in the 10s easy! Mines just a little bit more than stock though:cool:

I do plan on taking someone with some knowledge with me since I cannot do body work at all I HAVE to have one with no rust. Also I want one that is already modded so I will need to find someone the knows about that too. My Lightning is pushing 16lbs of boost peak and right now with my mods I am at the limit of the stock block. The Harley just went up for sale today and I have had a couple calls but nothing serious. The dirtbike is gone and I have someone lined up for the Bronco so once the Harley goes I can start lookin a little more seriously. For once in my life I am not rushing and just taking it easy reading and learning before jumping in. With the market how it is I see I can get alot of car for my money I just hope the Harley sells before winter.

Good deal man, and yeah TAKE YOUR TIME looking for one. Now is NOT the time to sell but its the time to buy for sure!!!!! Here is you a few pointers though, look behind the rear tires for rust, Look under the car at the floor board for sure as they are bad about rusting thur on these cars!!!! Look over the rear quarters good, if they are flexed or wrinkled any the car has been raced HARD !! Drive it for sure and see if the tranny if flareing between any shifts, a stock 200r4 will not live in these cars once they are hopped up some. If the seller will let you pop off the turbo pipe and look inside it and the intercooler for oil to see what condition the turbo is in. Good luck on your hunt and if you need any more info feel free to ask anything. The guys on here are great and will try to steer you in the right direction. Daniel Ray

potential g/n owner

oh! yeah i forgot to mention they do get good gas milage for as much power that my g/n is making it gets about 18 to 20 mpg as long as as i keep my foot off the pedal because when these things build boost your gas goes adios.When i'm on the street i keep it where my mechanic set it at 15 lbs. of boost my mechanic moved it up to 19 - 20 lbs on c-16 race gas darn that thing was almost uncontrolable and he said my engine could still go up alot more that this was just a sample of what it could do and i still got very good mpg. Your gonna get the g/n fever where there is no known cure :eek:

By family car I only meant enough room for the future Mrs and a kid or two in the future. She will have the daily driver family mobile and I have a work beater/dd. The Lightning only gets about 3k a year put on it so I figure about the same for a GN. Car shows, drag strip, cruisin around town, gettin groceries :biggrin: etc. I get 10mpg with my L on a good day so hopefully a "warmed-up" GN would do better.

Ok thats good to know! :biggrin: I'm sure you will find your "right one"!

I have looked at yours actually (a couple times). Still need to sell the Harley first. I was worried we were going to be on strike as of the 1st but apparently the union and company came to an agreement today so that is just one more thing that is falling into place (atleast a 3yr contract!). I have been eyeing the one for sale by JeffW too. To be honest if the Harley were gone I would prob pull the trigger on his (after somebody checked it out for me of course) since Tennessee is def closer for me then Florida but you do have a beautiful car and I love the GNX style wheels.

Yeah I check the Auto/RV every week and have seen a couple nice ones. The Harley ad just started this week in it and has two weeks to go so hopefully somebody will jump on it. I figure I will be looking to spend around 12-13k and possibly a little more for the right one.