hoop placement

karolko

I am hoping to hide my main hoop behind the b pillar so it is not as easy to see when standing beside the car, but i am just wondering where that hoop mounts to the frame: i think it is going to get mighty close to the #4 bushing.

could someone let me know how close it is to the bushing, and also how much the rear backseat gets tweaked out of shape becasue of it.

The base of the main hoop can be placed where you want it. However, when installed with you in the car, the bar must be 1 inch above and within 6 inches horizontally of your helmet. Make sure your seat is placed where it will be during tech! Some tilting of the bar is allowed (max of 20 degrees) to help attain these dimensions and entry/egress, etc. As far as the bushing and the rear seat being in the way, IMO the bar can easily be placed so as not to affect either. Don't worry too much about the bar being seen from the side, from the rear it will be pretty obvious anyway. :biggrin: Take a look at other cars in your area with cages to get an idea of what you are after and what you will end up with. Hope that helps!

Mark

Cage

Some Ideas On Hiding You Cage. Back Seat Will Fit And You Will Keep The Trunk Open

Attachments

• 83 regal 019 (2).jpg
    83 regal 019 (2).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 394
  • car.JPG
    car.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 384
lilbowtie, i have seen your cage photos all over the site and i really like how you did your cage.

Since your seats are all the way back do you pass inspection very easily? I am not the tallest person, but i think that the easiest way to "bypass" the 6" rule, is to pull up to inspection with your seat all the way back? does anyone do this???

Also, lilbowtie, how did the main hoop mount to the frame with reference to the body bushing??

Cage

As long as you have the equipment you won't have to worry about passing tech, most of the time it is just a glance to see that you have it. The faster your car better they inspect. Keep your bills on your SFI equipment and present then to the inspector at the track. If you are a regular they usually just ask if you have made any changes after your 1st tech of the year. If you are going for a certification on your car it's a different story. It better be built to the rule book and current for the class to get certified. As far as the body mount the hoop falls right in front of it. I am currently building a back-half Regal and sending a pic of that area.

Attachments

• Back 1-2 002.jpg
    Back 1-2 002.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 335
VERY NICE fab work!!!. Thank you very much for the photo that is exactly what i needed to see.

lilbowtie, is your bar complete covered by the a pillar? it seems like it, but with the angle of the photo, it is hard to tell.

Adrian

Cage

Adrain
Yes, the roll bar sits right in the middle - with the brown interior, the cage being brown and the foam being covered in brown you don't notice the cage. We have called back to tech at three tracks cause they didn't see the cage.
Dave
Until I read your msg I thought you were Turbodave that gave us a great deal on a Classic Dominator trailer. I can't take credit for the fabicating, thats my sons doing. It is an S&W back-half kit that we got with a funny car cage and all the sheet metal. He has been adding his own twist to it but work on it has slowed since he bought a new house. Plans are to get the cage and the sheet metal done over the holiday. Here is a few picks - I have quite a few pics from the start and to the hopeful finish.
Man I can't believe the launch from your car - I would definately have to change my pants after one of those rides. I hope you can tame that or start making some money in the wheelie contests.

Attachments

• Back 1-2 007.jpg
    Back 1-2 007.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 310
  • Back 1-2 009.jpg
    Back 1-2 009.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 318
  • Back 1-2 016.jpg
    Back 1-2 016.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 336
  • Back 1-2 019.jpg
    Back 1-2 019.jpg