Hooker Super Comp headers

i dont run them but everything i ever read/asked about them has turned up the same answer. on a stock/lightly modded car they are too big and slow spoolup. stock headers are good to the low 11s/hi10s from what i hear from others using them. postons and ATR make stock size headers that are less prone to cracking on the driver side unlike the stock headers which are notorious for this. they do not affect spoolup either from what ive heard/read.

Hooker headers

I thought they looked kinda big too but they are the same size as the Kenny Bells on my car.

Don't even think about putting that junk on your car. I just recently took mine off and went back to stock. The stock manifold made the car considerably faster. The design of the Hooker's is pathetic, what retard designed them? Further more they leaked all the time-I was always having to tighten them, they cracked in like 3 places, and they leaked at every joint. When I put the stock manifold back on I couldn't believe the difference. If you still insist on putting them on your car--I will give you mine. You'll have to weld them in a couple places, but you are welcome to them if you pay shipping. I just want to get them out of my garage. I really don't think you want them though, keep your Kenny Bell's on there or go back to factory. After market--ATR's (very expensive) are the only way to go as far as I know.

The car I have also has the hookers along with a stock stall converter and a 63 turbo. Lags like a bitch.

What are these headers worth? Or do I have to pay someone to take them?

.38 special wrote:
The design of the Hooker's is pathetic, what retard designed them?
-----------------------------------------

Someone once told me that Kenny Dutweiller worked with Hooker to make those headers. :D

From my observations, they work great on a dyno when going for all out HP but not in real world driving.

Hooker Headers

Hi guys

I worked for hooker headers in the early 80's, in the design shop.
At that time we were doing V-6 conversions using Buick V-6, into anything that would fit,( vegas,monza, trimph TR7, etc) and YES,
Ken Duttweiller, was involved in development of the header systems for these, ( I remember doing a V-6 Monza for him, normally asperated)
I left before they started doing the Buick Turbo stuff, But, since Ken is still involved with development of special projects, I am pretty sure he was influential in the design of the current design of the headers offered by Hooker for turbo Buicks.
While I was there ,we did lots of turbo stuff for the motorcycle turbo guys, and the thinking of those guys was way off! , we developed some exhaust systems that would almost eliminate lag, and would deliver more boost, using the same turbo setup.
( we had a bike dyno to back up our testing)
I can't speak for the current system, I do know that the were tried on a number of turbo Buicks, with good results, (these were stock internally, stock turbo)
I think some of the support brackets they designed may have been deleted, ( they were really needed!)
My long winded point? every one has an opinion, some good , some not so good, if you don't like something, don't use it!

Good luck
cruzn57

Uh, I think if Duttweiler designed them they are not meant for 12 sec grocery getters, hence the lag. Duttweiler likes to run 150+, not 100mph in the 1/4

Putting Hookers on a near stock car is like putting a TE 88 on my car

I put Hookers on my car with the stock turbo, and the lag is about the same (if there is more, it is very little), but when boost does come in, it flies up. Part throttle boost comes in quicker, and higher. Throttle response around town when not under boost is alot better, and it feels like it pulls like hell up in the rpm's. I didn't lose any bottom end. They also added a nice mellow tone(I run ATR 3" duals with no mufflers), that sounds like a TT stage car. I Like them.

Back in 1992 when I added a set to my 13.0@102.50 GN I picked up 2.5mph on the average. Best MPH after that was 105.13.

No better ET or very little gain there indicated that they helped the top end pull only.

That goes to show they do make more HP in the higher RPM ranges. I guess if we all ran 4000 stall convertors, they might work great. ;)