hood will not block strait????seriously

GNcincy87

is there something seriously wrong with the hoods on these cars or what????the first hood i had was whiped with bondo, blocked and low spots kept coming up. the hood was blocked and primed several times...everytime looking no better than the first.stripped it and started the whole process over and got the same results.. so i got another hood...its a little better but its doing the same thing. no matter how much bondo, or high build primer, endless days blocking this hood it will not get strait. even if it feels somewhat strait u get paint and clear on it and looks likie crap.. ive had several experienced people work on this hood and nobody can get it right...whats the deal????
should i just go fiberglass? i didnt know if anyone else has ran into this problem. if so fill me in.. thanks

Yeah they weren't very good at all to begin with. You'll find a guy buys an NOS hood and ends up with an even bigger problem......A hood! (high stress, high heat area that is highly visible.) You need a real metal man and a great catalyzed primer. Normal body filler if not going to be a good way to go at all. Cat. Prime and wait till it goes off and block at least 6X. Then black primer to see what you've got. That should do it. New Fiberglass......IMHO. The heat will make it move around on you.

Everyone's eyes are different as to what they notice. But the hood......

My partsman asked me once. What is an NOS part really ? Another counterman answered "A part that wasn't good enough to go on a car going down the assembly line. GM isn't going to throw anything away unless they are made to. They are made by law to stock spare parts for only the years required."

He stated this after the fifth try in the ordering of the same part. This was when I was look for a reasonable B post side molding. The original and four previous parts all looked like a blind man in a dark room with an axe finished.

yeah i agree the hoods are trash to begin with. as far as priming and blocking its on 6x or 8x now. tried shrinking the metal...used catalyzed primer, and polyester primer...these hoods really take a lot of work to come around. thanks for the reply. anyone running a fiberglass hood?? what kind of problems are you running into? when it gets hot from sitting out in the sun do they move around??

hood

Hoods are trickie lots of times a low area becomes a night mare it seams like you chase that one dent all over the hood same with a large roof.back in the day we run lead to fix dents todays metal so thin and flimsy wouldn't have a chance.Two things always help me with a hood use a block larger than the area your fixing.and the amount of pressure you are applying to the area you are fixing let the tool your useing do the work don't push light pressure after doing this for 30 years I don't even have to feel it I can just look at it and tell (need glass now though lol ) if your having trouble distinguishing the exact area lay a rag on the hood and move it around with your hand a lot easier to tell the area your working on guide coat is only as good as the guy using it I taught night votec body shop for a few years and some of the students could knock it off and the dent was still apparent A fiberglass hood can be pretty tuff to straighting out to especially down the length of the fenders it not supported right they want to bow.

Search all 4 edges for tiny cracks. I've seen hoods with cracks you can barely see make it impossible to line up