Hood Insulator is it really required????

Member # 77

I know I am a Rookie on this board but in peoples opinion is a Hood Insulator really required?

Is it there to reduce the noise under the hood or is it to protect the paint on the hood due to engine heat?

:confused:

I know I am a Rookie on this board but in peoples opinion is a Hood Insulator really required?

Is it there to reduce the noise under the hood or is it to protect the paint on the hood due to engine heat?

Both. But mostly to deflect the heat...turbochargers give out a lot of heat on these cars, lots. And I have personally seen a GN with a blistered hood due to no insulation, it killed the paint directly over the turbo. Of course, he didn't have the shield on either. GM had a good reason to put it there, trust them.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Will removing the heat shield destroy the hood insulator? (I just see many people running their TBs without them.)

I ran my GN with NO heat shield and NO hood pad for years with no downside......the engine noise is a little louder but I didnt care about that....over 5 years and 50k miles.

Pete

I think they are usually removed because after market downpipes don't fit under the cover without notching the cover. I have a polished turbo and coated housing and I like the look w/o the cover. My opinion of course. I still have my hood insulator installed.

I think they are usually removed because after market downpipes don't fit under the cover without notching the cover. I have a polished turbo and coated housing and I like the look w/o the cover. My opinion of course. I still have my hood insulator installed.

That makes sense.

If your insulator is fugly, just $hitcan it. No downside really, with or without a turboshield. However, an unshielded turbo will disfigure any hood insulator.

I took mine off because it was rubbing my up pipe. I plan on replacing it with one of those hoodliners off eBay that is made out of aircraft firewall material. With surface mount led strips for more adequate underhood lighting. :)

My God, Red Regal T, who's Buick GS is that? It's mindblowing!!:eek: What a beautiful machine!!!!!!! My favorite colors, too, red and black. My God, if my late Dad were alive, seeing this would make the man cry. Wow. It's just beautiful. Haven't seen one like that in a long, long time. Whew!!:eek:

Bruce '87 Grand National