Homemade Cold Air Intake Ideas

PlaneMech

Hi,

Im looking for some input on how you guys have made a cold air intake system. I'm getting ready to install a LS1 Maf and translator. Right now I have a K&N filter on the stock MAF. I would like to move the Filter out of the engine compartment. Looking to save some money and make my own. Ideas and pics on how you have done yours would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

I used to have my K&N mounted on the end of the MAF but wanted cooler air for the engine so here's what I did: Removed the filter and mocked a tube to go from the end of the MAF to the core support, the opening next to the headlight wires. Had my muffler shop bend a 3" tube to go from the MAF to the opening(just enough room for the tube) and through the core support about 1". Attached the stock plastic 90 elbow, the one that used to go into the cannister, on the end of the tube pointing down and mounted my K&N in front of the core cupport, behind the bumper. I thought about putting it in front of the grill but future plans call for a longer filter to bring it closer to the bottom of the bumper or a scoop of some kind in the plastic under the bumper.

I did a similar setup thru the core support, but i used 2 pre-mandrel bent 3 inch 90 degree bends (exhaust tubing)...one goes from the maf to the core support, the other goes from that one down...with a Dual cone filter behind the air damn 40 bucks total cost :) now i just need to get them powdercoated or something....

Do a search for the name Jacob Morse, I stole his idea{thanks again Jacob!} by using a 2001 Honda Accord intake setup. Its polished aluminum, and all you really have to do is make a few cuts with a hacksaw to make it work. I love it. It goes down under the headlights. Jacob has pics, I still dont. Best of luck to you!, Mike

I made mine out of a 90*, 45* and about 6" of straight abs plumbing. Doesn't look beautiful, but it does put the filter out of the engine bay below the headlights. and it only cost about 30 bucks. :p

I built my own, with a 45* 4inch mandrel and a 90* 4 inch mandrel. The filter sits between the core support and the headlight bucket. IMHO, by the time I added the connectors and wire extensions to move the IAT sensor(to the collar of the K&N filter), you're better off ordering Mark Hueffmans cold air kit. His price is pretty close to my DIY kit (mine was a little more), so I just get the satisfaction of saying mine is a DIY kit.

From the MAF:
VW heater hose (just over 3", gutted, black) to black pvc pipe(maybe 4" long), to 90 bend black pvc that goes thru the support to the K&N. Looks like it could be stock, IMO, so it doesn't stand out. About $25.00 without the filter. 3 Clamps are double from Home Depot, with rubber insert, aluminum support removed.

Home made cold air intake

Originally posted by scottyb
From the MAF:
VW heater hose (just over 3", gutted, black) to black pvc pipe(maybe 4" long), to 90 bend black pvc that goes thru the support to the K&N. Looks like it could be stock, IMO, so it doesn't stand out. About $25.00 without the filter. 3 Clamps are double from Home Depot, with rubber insert, aluminum support removed.
:confused:

I used 3" schedule 30 white plastic pipe( round rain gutter discharge pipe) from local hardware store.

A 3 inch coupling is just a little to big to go over the MAF sensor, BUT one or two wraps o rubber tape brings the diameter up just right and makes a tight seal.

All kinds of fittings are available, 45's 90's street 45's and street 90's ( a street fitting is male on one end and female on the other, makes a Kool connection when you want to join two next to each other,
I use these and a 9" K&N under the car

PIPE and fittings are cheap, cuts easy, and you don't even have to gule it.

REGARDS, BLACKHAWK38

The "couplers" I used are from the Home Depot. One unit consists of an aluminum ring about 3" long with 2 clamps and a rubber insert. I pitched the aluminum and just used the rubber and 2 clamps. Fit right onto the MAF, but was a little stretch to get over the 3" PVC.

I used a different approach to isolate the filter from the engine compartment.
I installed a 9" K&N in the area where the charcoal canister was located and separated this area from the remainder of the engine compartment by a sheet metal divider with a cutout for the air pipe to pass through. The canister was relocated below the splash shield in front of the fender well. The bottom of the splash shield was opened up to allow additional air circulation.
Air temps at the filter inlet are within 1 degree of ambient while moving and never exceed 5 degrees over ambient while stationary.
This approach eliminates all the bends that are required to locate the filter in front of the radiator support.

Hey Guys thanks for all the good ideas. Does it matter where the IAT senser goes, as right now its in the base of my K&N. Can it go anywhere in the intake tube?

Thanks,
John

IAT can just hang in the engine bay if you like. It has very little control over anything. Just tells the ECM the difference between a 20 degree F day and a 120 degree F day, and the ecm adjusts the fuel accordingly. The adjustment is really small though. I guess it might matter more for people at altitude? not sure.