Home made Racing Gas

darthvadernewbe

Hello to all you Turbo lovers....New member here and wanted to ask a question about a couple of formulas for homemade racing gas I found on the web. Adding toluene to 93 ocatane gas at about a 2.5 galllons Toluene to 7.5 gallons of 93 octane gas yields a octane rating of about 98.5. This formula came from a dude who studied the turbo F1 cars by McClaren/Honda in the 1980's. Has anyone tried this yet. Seems to good to be true? I know the higher the octane the better our turbos run. Comments.... Thanks

I used to use the toulene/93 octane mix. 4 gallons toulene and top off the rest with gas, then hope the mixture was consistant before I went to 20psi. It controlled detonation but I changed to 110 octane. That allowed me to goto 24psi with no knock. And it cost about the same

Hello to all you Turbo lovers....New member here and wanted to ask a question about a couple of formulas for homemade racing gas I found on the web. Adding toluene to 93 ocatane gas at about a 2.5 galllons Toluene to 7.5 gallons of 93 octane gas yields a octane rating of about 98.5. This formula came from a dude who studied the turbo F1 cars by McClaren/Honda in the 1980's. Has anyone tried this yet. Seems to good to be true? I know the higher the octane the better our turbos run. Comments.... Thanks
We have Toluene and Xylene.......fairly toxic. One benefit---fuel injector cleaner.

1:3 ratio (117{Xylene} + 93 + 93 + 93 / 4) will net a 99 octane final mix. It's not easy to find for a good price. An alky injection system will net the same performance benefit for less $$ in the long run. just our .02 ;)

E-85 ;)
i looked into all of that. like you said, it was in the 80's. it was cheap. now that those chemicals are used to make meth, (IMO) the price of them has gone through the roof. i couldn't find anything at a decent price. so, i started mixxing in some e-85 (1.20/gallon) with great results. then, gas went to 4.00+ a gallon, and the e-85 pumps went dry around here. now, the e-85 is just a few penny's cheaper than regular.

i ran Xylene / 91 very PITA

go with razor alky / turbo tweak chip the biggest kaboum for the buck

cp

I ran Xylene for a year with a TT 100 octain chip. The ratio is 3 to 1, 93 to xylene plus a capfull of Marvle Mystery Oil. Worked fine but got tired of mixing it. Moved on to Alky and never looked back.

N crap stuff that works...NOS octane Booster

Spend the 12 bucks and get the NOS off road formula Octane booster. its in teh gray box at Auto Zone.

I recently stumbled across this and couldnt believe the timing I could add in my tune with no KR to the car and was scratching my head thinking there is no way this stuff worked its just a hokey "NAAWWWS" smoke and mirrors.

I guess it has some validity to it. Good friend recently sold his 11.70's SRT4 Neon with the Mopar Stage 3 package and the setup has High Octane mode and the car need 99 -100 octane to stay in it. If the cars senses KR it will take it out of HO mode.

Long story short this NOS octane booster is what thes SRT4 guys use with pump gas to stay in HO mode and it works.

I running 26 degress of Timing at 24 PSI (alky) and getting no KR had to added 12% fuel to high load in the GEN2.

Most octane boosters claim it raises "points" it takes 10 "points " to get 1 full octane number.

The NOS stuff claims 60 points that puts 93 at 99 octane. So far I can see its true.

FWIW I used to do the Toluene mix and go to sherwin williams and buy 5 gallon drums of the stuff and never could get more than 17-18 psi with just pump gas homebrew mix attempts.

Alky is the best thing you can do period in comparison to the cans and mixing.

toluene works but don't spill on your paint! Also, don't breathe the fumes, and don't splash it... that's bad bad sh!t.

It's used to boost octane in the gas we buy, it's on the msds for gas!

the 80's team you're thinking of used pure toluene. I remember hearing they had to run the fuel lines by the exhaust to heat it up or something like that.

In reality, we all just went to meth. Cheaper, safer, cools egt's, cools charge, etc!

N crap stuff that works...NOS octane Booster

Spend the 12 bucks and get the NOS off road formula Octane booster. its in teh gray box at Auto Zone...

Alky is the best thing you can do period in comparison to the cans and mixing.

Running that stuff is asking for trouble, it contains a BIG slug of Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) which leaves a nasty orange/red residue on everything in the combustion chamber. With repeated use it will start clogging injector tips and can start acting like a heat sink, driving cylinder temps way up causing problems with detonation.

I will agree with the last sentence in your post... long term, alky is the way to go.

Dan, when did you first mess with it? I remember going to a NEBRA BBQ 10 years ago and seeing some DIY set ups. They were saying they could run ungodly boost. The setups were pretty primitive but they worked.

Dan, when did you first mess with it? I remember going to a NEBRA BBQ 10 years ago and seeing some DIY set ups. They were saying they could run ungodly boost. The setups were pretty primitive but they worked.

I think it was 2004 .. Melissa's WE4 . I had a customer that had a SMC kit on his car. (thats now Melissa's GN ) Car ran low 12s . I was almost impressed :p I had known Julio from the TTA "list" and here for years.. Julio tried I lot of stuff that I said didn't work. He proved me right on a few things!! BUT HE proved it to me with his alky system on her car. All uphill from there. I couldn't believe after she got the GN an put a new set up in. 10.80s ..month later 10.10 .. needless to say I am a believer! I think its one of the best mods to do first on a Buick :cool:

I've been very satified with the Julio's system. My best mod.:wink:

I've been very satified with the Julio's system. My best mod.:wink:

Absolutely agree 100%... Julio's alky system is awesome! I used to find, buy and store race gas... what a hassle. I did not want to detune for street driving so I used 110 all the time.

Now I just buy 93 octane at the pump and use all my gas cans for gas for my snow blower :)

I have read that a lot of you use alky systems but have no idea why they are needed and how they are installed. What are the benefits/costs for those of us with "driver" cars that are only slightly modified (chip, bigger injectors, etc.)?

Thread has been pretty hijacked. Go into teh alky section and ask your questions.
On a side note I was born and lived in Columbus for most of my Childhood. my GN was bought at Riverside Buick.
Lived over in the edgewood area

I have read that a lot of you use alky systems but have no idea why they are needed and how they are installed. What are the benefits/costs for those of us with "driver" cars that are only slightly modified (chip, bigger injectors, etc.)?

benefits... you tune the car and DRIVE it on the street and go to the track and race with no changes. nice no brainer.. cars have gone in the 9s @ 140+ with pump gas and alky. :cool: