Home made Alky Injection?

Darth Fiero

3800 Series II Turbo
I am thinking of going with alcohol injection on my 3800 II Turbo in my Fiero but my budget will not allow me to pay out for an SMC or other popular "kits."

So this brings me to my first question...Has anyone ever made a DIY alky injection setup that worked good without many problems? How much money was involved and what parts did you use?

I have the following misc parts laying around and was wondering if any of them could be used with a home-made alky inj setup as long as I used lubricant in the alky:

-L98 Cold Start Injector
-Many different flow rates of Bosch and Multec Injectors 15lb-22lb
-Holding tank
-MPFI Fuel pump
-7psi Pressure Switch

My Camaro 3800 intake has an EGR tube provision just after the throttle body that is plugged right now. It appears that with a little work, an L98 (350 TPI) cold start injector would fit there very nicely. However, I am not aware of the flow rate of this injector and if it would be enough for an alky spray. How much do I need? Do I need a lot or just a little alky spray to be effective for cool-down?

Here is the current configuration of the engine/car:

87 Fiero (approx 3000lbs)
-97 L67 Stock block, crank, rods, pistons, cam; new bearings
-98 L36 heads and Camaro RWD intake
-Stock 87 GN Turbo w/ adj wastegate
-91 Dodge Spirit R/T IC
-4T60-E 4spd AOD w/ 3.33 Final Drive

I can only run about 10lbs of boost on 93 octane without seeing more than 1-2 deg KR. If I run 105 octane, I can get as high as 13-14lbs before the knock gauge goes nuts.

Any info provided would be appreciated.

Thinking about installing an alky kit on your TR without spending a lot of money? One of our members, Steve Monroe, has a site that gives easy, complete, instructions on "how to" make up and install what is commonly referred to as the DIY alchohol injection system. I put mine together over three years ago. While you have to get parts from different sources, it takes no more time to install than any other kit. Cost me about $150 then, and I think I can duplicate it today for $175. The DIY kit employs the use of the $60 Shurflo pump #2687. More pump than you'll ever need. If you have any problems locating any of the parts, or need some specific information on installation, just post here on the alky forum for answers. Additionally to the instructions on the website below, I have installed a warning light next to my boost gauge to let me know the pump is spraying and an activation or test button so I can activate the system manually. Spend more if you want, but it's not necessary. In case you've read some posts here, and you thought installing or using alky was complicated, it's not at all. Here's Steve Monroe's website....

http://home.att.net/~stevemon/AlcoholInjMod.html

Talk about reliability, I have more than 75,000 miles on my car since I installed the DIY kit, and can truthfully say, it has never failed to come on. Never had a pump failure. I have no knock in high gear at 24 psi running a TE44 turbo. DIY alcohol injection not only gives you more power, cheaply, but protects your engine from destructive detonation, which could destroy your motor. I NEVER had any problem tuning it. Just figure your turn-on point, usually between 10 and 15#s of boost, set it and forget it. There is no pump speed to set. Pump is preset to 60 psi and I use a .032 jet and a one gallon reservoir. End of story! However, if you like to experiment, the pump pressure is adjustable to over 100 psi. I've read many posts about alky being hard to tune, I really don't know what they're talking about. They must not have a Steve Monroe DIY kit. This DIY kit can put your STOCK TR into the 12s. Get busy!

Here's a post by RAZOR that you should read if you're thinking about installing alcohol injection............

"Listen, an alcohol injection system is basically a pump, nozzle and tank. The simpler it is kept the easier it is. If you have the ability to install a car radio..you can do this.

No matter what route you take..they all lead to the same river..pump,nozzle, and tank. The debates are how to control the pumps. Both the prefab kits like the SMC, DIY, and stuff I do are all going in the same direction. They all require wiring, drilling, mounting stuff. The experience and technical assistance available on this board cannot be surpassed by any other web site.

If you do your reading and spend some time visiting sites and articles..you will get a grasp on line 1

The complications happen when you break into the 11's for power.. Thats when the power is really being made and requirements are higher.

Decide what you would like the car to do..then make a game plan how your going to take care of that issue..thats what this forum is for. To give different views on the same thing. I too had your feelings initially when I did mine 2 years ago..so i understand.

There are pro's and cons to every way you decide to go about doing this..they usually revolve around $$$ and convenience

And just added..you can do this with your scanmaster..as your end result of 02's will vary with fueling. Your looking for zero knock and a happy motor. Direct scan/turbolink are needed for extended diagnostics. like making chips.."

If you want a controller look into Razors controllers if you go the DYI ,Ive made my own controller it aint worth it.He will get you the right part right price.