home HVAC blower wiring help

JDEstill

Turboliscious!
A few years ago I had part of my home HVAC system replaced. One of the things they replaced was the blower that circulates air in the house. I kept the old one and figured I'd wire it up so I could use it as a fan in the garage when I needed some good air flow. I'm ready to do that now, but I need some help wiring this thing up. Essentially I need to wire this to a 3 prong plug (with a switch somewhere too) so I can plug into an outlet. The a/c guy just cut the old wires when he removed it, and I don't know what wire goes where. No wiring diagram on or in the fan/motor assembly.

Can someone give me some directions on how to hook this thing up? There's 4 wires - a white, a black, a pink or light red, and a darker red. See the attached pics. With the 4 wires I'm assuming this motor is capable of multiple speeds - true? If so, I'd like to keep that capability. I'd prefer to have a switch so I can go "Off - Low - High", or "Off - Low - Med - High".

Thanks for the help!

John

Attachments

• Fan Motor Wiring 3.jpg
    Fan Motor Wiring 3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 306
  • Fan Motor Tag 1.jpg
    Fan Motor Tag 1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 258
Black will be the slowest speed.
Red will be the highest speed.
Beige will be middle speed.
The two beige wires together will go to the capacitor.
White will be common.

One of those twisted pair beige wires will also have continuity with the red/black/beige wires and the other will not have continuity with anything. Do not cross them up or you will smoke the motor but it does not really matter how you hook them up to the capacitor if there are no other wires running to the cap. If there is a power wire runnig to the cap then the one with continuity to the power wires has to go there.

Mikey

cool, thanks for the information guys, that should help. If I get confused, I'll be back :)

John