Home built CK 2004R

Firechicken

Hey guys, I just finished installing my CZF transmission which I rebuilt myself using CK's manual. The transmission is awesome from the initial few miles I have put on it. I am going to put it through its paces this evening, and will report back.

I followed Chris's manual pretty much to the letter including dual feeding the directs and drilling .060 holes where indicated etc., with the exception of using Alto red clutches in the direct, since the TCI kit I bought a few years ago came with Raybestos Blue clutches. As well, I did not use Kolene steels anywhere since the kit didn't supply them. I also used a Transgo Performance Shift kit since I had already purchased it before hand as well.

I am using Wal-mart Tech 2000 Hydraulic Tractor Fluid ($30 CDN for 20L{5 gal}).

My car is a 1980 Firebird with a .030 over 455 (462ci) and 3.42 gears. The engine is pushing about 500 HP and around 600 ft/lbs.

I'll let you know how it holds up, but from all initial indications, this thing is nothing short of awesome. :D

great news,i hope you did install a e4340 forward drum as per the insstructions in the manual when dual feeding

Well, I guess I did deviate from the directions there too. :)

I had bought, before I knew better, a hardened heat treated drum from the 'fake' Art Carr in Texas. So, since I already had it, I just used it. I know it is likely going to break, but I didn't want to have just wasted that money I spent completely. So I will use it until it breaks. When it does, I will be ordering one of your billet pieces.

Mike at CK Canada showed me one of your billet pieces when he dropped off the other parts I ordered from you, and it looks great. I guess I will have one sooner or later. :)

By the way, I have been out beating up on this thing all night, and it is beautiful. It holds the power in all gears, even with my foot on the floor. I love it. :)

it would be nice to find the limitations of the art carr piece.maybe it will hold up.good luck and enjoy.