Home Backup Generators???

scrobbyd

Hello all! Haven't posted in a while been tied up with other projects plus for the most part no problems with my GN. Anyway I'm just seeing what kind of knowledge base you guys can offer on standby generators. I've read quite a bit lately on several different generators. I've was leaning towards a 20 kw Generac but I've since have found a 20 kw Beem. Difference is Generac is air cooled and two cylinders vs Beem liquid cooled four cylinders. I'm just curious of you guys thoughts and experiences of what to look for and reliability. Thanks in advance for any advise or knowledge y'all may have.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

i don't know much about generators but at my moms house we went through two Generacs on light loads- fridge, 4 60 watt lights and one ceiling fan.
i WOULD NOT buy another Generac no matter how cheap it is.

[quote="]Interested myself![/quote]

yep, add me to the list, been thinking about a standby generator.......

[quote="TURBOPOWERED68, we went through two Generacs on light loads- fridge, 4 60 watt lights and one ceiling fan. i WOULD NOT buy another Generac no matter how cheap it is.[/quote]

was that a portable generator or standby?

[quote="TURBOPOWERED68, we went through two Generacs on light loads- fridge, 4 60 watt lights and one ceiling fan. i WOULD NOT buy another Generac no matter how cheap it is.

was that a portable generator or standby?[/quote]

portable and according to the advertised spec it was an over kill for what it was going to be used for.

I just got a price on this unit but I don't know anything about it. Seregen 300 series. Anyone have knowledge on these?

living in hurricane central :D, I have had to use my portable generator at least 3 times, it's nothing major its a coleman 6500 watt
but works great! a full tank last up to 12 hrs long, I made the power cables myself, I place it outside the house connect the power cables, and it runs everything, with the exception of central air conditioning . ( I bought 2 portable a/c units $69.00 home depot)
had it for years, works great.

Make sure if you connect yourself, it will not backfeed into the transmission lines. This can kill the people working on the lines and they have a provision in place to burn up the generator if it does backfeed. It was explained to me but I forget the particulars.

I have 3 gen sets,
one 2200 w honda, Old style with metal frame around it,
one 4k honda ,water cooled
and one 16k generac, standby.
I normally use the 2200w honda, as all it has to run is lights etc, works perfect!
4k honda is in the motor home, and works flawlessly!
the 16kw generac is hard wired into the house with disconnect/ transfer switch.
it is 6 yrs old , and has maybe 100 hrs on it, we use it when power has been out for long periods.
as water pump is 220v,
the generac has been trouble free, and maint is all it has required,
it has a 30HP Kohler 2 cyl, engine, OHV,.
would I buy another Generac? you bet! my neighbor has one, its over 20 yrs old and still works perfect!

Thanks regan j, good to know!

Thanks cruzn57 this is the kind of answer I've been waiting on. Question though, why have the other two generators? Are they really necessary when you have your standby? Unless maybe you don't have an automatic transfer switch??? Anyway I've read that Generac's air cooled shut down at 190 deg. and take forever to cool off. This was probably just a selling point for generac competitors, but humidity is always a factor here Louisiana. Which is the reason why I cannot run a front mount intercooler. LOL

2200 w is portable, used for the drags, remote areas etc.
the 4000w is in the motorhome
so the big one is standby,
when we loose power here, its normally for under 5hrs, so 2200w keeps
things going, our water tank is 1600 gal, so unless we use alot of water,
the pump (220v) isn't needed .