home alky kit?

just do a search on DIY alky kits.. there are lots of ways to skin a cat :eek: Or if ya want one thats been thought out and has an awesome support line call Julio @ Alkycontrol :biggrin:

I used the factory coolant reservoir, some soft plastic line (Taurus fuel line), inline filter, F*rd F150 external fuel pump, yard sprayer nozzle and a little brass 90 elbow. Sprayed mine at the entrance of the turbo and let me go from 17psi without to 25psi with alky and zero knock. Total cost was $9.99 for the sprayer part. I collected the rest through the years.

I used the factory coolant reservoir, some soft plastic line (Taurus fuel line), inline filter, F*rd F150 external fuel pump, yard sprayer nozzle and a little brass 90 elbow. Sprayed mine at the entrance of the turbo and let me go from 17psi without to 25psi with alky and zero knock. Total cost was $9.99 for the sprayer part. I collected the rest through the years.

Any drawbacks to spraying before the turbo? I've heard it is bad for the compressor wheel. Anyone know if this is true or not?

I had heard the same thing but to use distilled water (less minerals) and the alky. After 23,000 miles of doing this (pump on @ 10psi) there was no noticeable wear on the impellar blades. Another member here, who showed me this method, had probably well over 150,000 miles on his with alky until he got his TA-33 and his turbo looked like mine. I can understand the wear concern but never had it happen to mine. :)

I had heard the same thing but to use distilled water (less minerals) and the alky. After 23,000 miles of doing this (pump on @ 10psi) there was no noticeable wear on the impellar blades. Another member here, who showed me this method, had probably well over 150,000 miles on his with alky until he got his TA-33 and his turbo looked like mine. I can understand the wear concern but never had it happen to mine. :)

So what is the best fuel to use? Can you use the over the counter bottle of alcohol? I've seen 90%, 73% and a 50% solution and I've seen the denatured alcohol in the paint department of the hardware store. Is there something else better and what do you mix it with and what is the ratio that works best?

I originally used 90% solution over the counter and did a 50/50 mix with the water. Then switched to denatured and a little MM oil to help keep the pump alive. The F*rd pump has stainless internals and never faulted on my hotair. As far as I know, it still works. Sold the car almost 1.5 years ago. :frown: My 87 has Julio's kit on it. :D

Do you think anything can be done with a stock Gn in tank pump? I have a stock unit laying around. Is it too strong/weak to use in the alky tank?

I know I have more pics somewhere but can't find them. In this pic, you can see the blue hose, clear filter, plastic line leading down to the pump. At this time I was using a Bosche Poppet valve from a VW that opens at 35psi and puts out a real good fog of alky. The little elbow I originally used is on the bottom side of the plastic elbow under where this nozzle is but it can't be seen. I also had a bleed off line leading back up to the container that had a little brass "T" in it. I could fine tune how much alky went thru the nozzle with this so as not to bog down the engine when it came on or turn it up a bit.

Attachments

• DrT05.jpg
    DrT05.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 301
I can't remember the name but there is a guy in the chicagoland area with a kit from Razor on a hot air. The do it your self kit is cheaper but you may be taking more of a risk. Save up for it then you can add meth and go teach your Impala a lesson.:biggrin:

I had a DIY kit for a short time with 50/50 mix of Blue washer fluid and Dry Gas.
It would come on full blast at 10PSI and drown my car.
Only if I went WOT it wouldn’t drown the car.
But I never pushed the car past 10-13 PSI of boost.
I switched to Julio’s kit and it makes a deference coming in at a controlled pace, no more drowning at the same psi. Another BUT, I am still too chicken to turn up the boost past 15 PSI.

GNeric
It would be nice for you to write a full detail article on HOT AIR ALKY. I do not think anyone has done one. I think many people will try the DIY, but they will eventually go with a RAZOR's, PAC, or DEVIL's OWN. Maybe we can get this post a sticky.

I actually thought about it a while back but it took so long to dial in compared to Razor's kit and SMC's. They did good jobs on theirs and without lots of parts that I already had, it would cost a pretty good amount and with the kits that are out there, it would be more cost affective to just buy a kit. :D

I shall try and find all my notes and part numbers and such and compile them all together and make a post. Not sure how long it will take since I have a few transmissions to finish.