Holy CRAP , Tree SAP!!! HELP!!! ---

alwayscode390

WOW, I just got into my vehicle today and noticed I have "pine" sap ALL over my car. Atleast 10 dime-sized areas, and even more than that little specs!!!
Do you have any tips/tricks/or product recommendations for me?
Will it damage my paint if I leave it on there?
Seems like the more I rub it the worse it looks!!! It just smears all over :(
Thanks ---

I'd start with mineral spirits. Assuming modern base/clearcoat finish, mineral sprits won't hurt it. Rubbing it really hard with a rag MIGHT leave some slight surface scratches that can be buffed out.

I would get it off ASAP. Stuff like that CAN wrinkle the paint permanently.

If it's a newer car I would use the mineral spirits, alcohol, or a small amount of lacquer/paint thinner. Like stated above, get it off as soon as you can.

Mineral spirits is best to start with because it has a greasy lubricant in it and is more forgiving when rubbing debris off of paint. Alcohol is unforgiving, if using alcohol it's important to use a soft cloth (should use one anyway but you'll ruin it filling it with sap or tar). Alcohol will be a good way to get the mineral spirits off once its clean.

Lacquer thinner is what i'd try if mineral spirits doesn't work. It needs a little finesse, as it can damage even modern finishes if left on there too long. I'd focus on removing the sap and deal with the possible angel hair scratches once the tar is gone. It's the lesser of two evils. Once the paint is wrinkled the only thing that can be done is "make it better" by wet sanding it and polishing it. Fine scratches are fixable.

Another note: Mineral spirits won't evaporate as fast so it can be used to presoak the sap and help with removal. You can leave mineral spirits on for days, it's the main ingredient in most bug/tar removers. It WILL discolor any bare plastic it's left on though.

Hope this helps...

Meguiars has a product called Body solvent that's killer on that. Harder to get but gentler than mineral spirits.

Believe it or not, nothing beats good ole rubbing alcohol......wont hurt paint....melts pine tar

I've used straight PineSol to get Pine tree sap off my cars. Rubbed right off with my fingers. I figured it couldn't hurt after trying lacquer thinner.

Get it off asap! Years ago I had a grove of pines beside my driveway and they destroyed the paint on my daily driver. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and had them all cut down. One of the best things I've done for my property.