Spark Plug Heat Range Info

Nick Micale

Tech Advisor
Staff member
With the use many local e-85 TR's I am seeing some spark plug results different than normal, so I checked around and found this bit of useful info which may be of help in plug selection:

"Let's make this really simple: when you need your engine to run a little cooler, run a colder plug. When you need your engine to run a little hotter, run a hotter spark plug. However, NGK strongly cautions people that going to a hotter spark plug can sometimes mask a serious symptom of another problem that can lead to engine damage. Be very careful with heat ranges.

With modified engines (those engines that have increased their compression) more heat is a by-product of the added power that normally comes with increased compression. In short, select one heat range colder for every 75-100 hp you add, or when you significantly raise compression. Also remember to retard the timing a little and to increase fuel enrichment and octane. These tips are critical when adding forced induction (turbos, superchargers or nitrous kits), and failure to address ALL of these areas will virtually guarantee engine damage.

An engine that has poor oil control can sometimes mask the symptom temporarily by running a slightly hotter spark plug. While this is a "Band-Aid" approach, it is one of the only examples of when and why one would select a hotter spark plug.

MY TRUCK: Running a supercharger, I was getting some pinging in hot weather. The OE plug I was running was a NGK UR5 Part #2771. I switched to one heat range cooler - NGK UR6 7773."

Good info Nick. What if though, the wideband shows 14-15:1 at idle and off boost , normal driving but the plugs *seem* to be loading up and gas fouling? I dropped compression AND ran a colder plug in anticipation of boosted conditions. Maybe go back to warmer plug and check drivability/plug life? Thanks! edit... not n my GN.
Ross

The word "seem" is not dependable to draw a conclusion about how the plugs are performing either good or bad?

Pull a couple plugs to see what they "tell" you. Look up on-line how to read a spark plug and you will have a good indicator if the heat range is close or not.

If they are loading up or gas fouling there will lots of black residue on the porcelain and electrode.

Let me know if you need some help.