Holley tuning

gunnervirus

My Car's Too Loud...
Hi guys,

I having a hard time getting the new carb to run right. It's running really rich (black smoke). The idle screws are out 3 1/2 turns. The primary jets are 64, and the secondary jets are 85, power valve is 6.5.

Should I go down a jet or two? Any idea's / comments?

how much vaccum do you have at the carb?what type of cam are you running?are the floats adjusted right(dumping fuel while it's idleing?)

depending on the timing (which i'm trying to figure out), it pulls anywhere from 8 to 16 inches of vacuum (according to the boost guage). The float is not too high... wait... should I adust the float when the car is running? I adjusted it when it wasn't.

The cam is a lunati 200 cam.

thanks

Here’s what I'm running with My Holley.

Primary(s) jets = 68
Secondary jets = 74
Power Valve = 8.5"

Did you modify the power valve circuit so it references the intake signal instead of under the carb? Also install a check valve so no boost pressure can get to the power valve. That will pop it, and could be causing the condition your experiencing now.

If this doesn't solve it. Replace the gaskets between the fuel bowls & the metering plates and the carb body. I had a slightly warped metering body that would leak fuel out the vent holes when the car was off.

Hope this helps

the car should be running when adjusting your float level.fc227 also made good points.if all else fails run smaller jets and see what happens.when does it run rich,at idle?when driving?when flooring it?

the power valve is manifold referenced with a check valve. I'll adjust the floats again, and let you know.

It runs rich at idle, and when i floor it, it stumbles really bad.
I'll try changing the jets, and let you know.

thanks

What size "CFM" carb are you running? I had to do allot of playing with the exceleration pump cams and Squirters.