Holley Commander 950

gta324

Planning on getting a EFI system, have been comparing DFI vs FAST (like many others....) and now I have a new player in the game, the commander 950....

Why arent you guys using it? All I see is FAST and DFI..

It has a lot of cool/good stuff like

Internal data-logger: Allows user to data-log without a laptop in the vehicle. Will log between 24 seconds and 2.5 minutes depending on sampling rate. Logs up to 13 inputs including two spare 0-5v inputs. Beneficial for sanctioning bodies that do not allow for a lap top to be in a race car or for race application where use of a laptop is difficult; such as a dragster.

Programmable load scale: Allows for the 16 load points to be defined by the user whether speed density or Alpha-N is chosen. Allows for resolution where it is needed. Great feature for supercharged and Alpha-N engines.

Programmable inputs and outputs: Allows some of the inputs and output lines to perform different functions, such as timing retard, a wastegate control, RPM-activated switches, etc.

Programmable O2 voltage: 4 x 4 matrix allows user to program in target closed loop O2 voltage from 0-5 volts depending on RPM and engine load.

Programmable O2 compensation limits: 4x4 matrix with separate (+) and (-) limits allows user to define closed loop compensation limits.

O2 signal inversion: This feature lets you run an aftermarket wideband O2 sensor or a regular narrowband O2 sensor with the Commander 950. Many aftermarket wideband sensors have an output of 0-5 volts from rich to lean and a regular sensor has an output of 0-1 volt from lean to rich.

Wideband O2 operation: The previous three features make it possible to use a wideband O2 sensor and amplifier with the Commander 950 and run closed loop or use it to datalog actual A/F ratio during a run.

Noise block: Allows the magnetic input to be used in noisy environments (such as inside a distributor cap)

RPM to 12750: Allows for peak engine RPM of 12,750 as compared to the standard software of 8,150 RPM.

Deceleration Fuel Cutoff: Shuts fuel off when decelerating for better emissions and fuel economy.

Timing trim vs. Coolant temperature: New table to add timing vs. engine coolant temperature.

Fuel pulse strategy: Allows selection of firing the injectors once per revolution or once every two revolutions. Allows for better idle control with very large injectors.

AC input: can raise idle speed when AC is on

/N.

Geez, I just answered this one somewhere else today....

The Commander 950 reminds me of a DFI Gen 6 box with a hacked windows interface. There is not much in the way of new technology in the system. It's a bare bones pulse-width driven system with corrections stuffed in to band-aid the holes inherent in a pw-based fueling strategy. There is nothing in their feature set that the DFI and FAST stuff hasn't been doing for years -- excepting the internal datalogger.

Unfortunately all the bells and whistles inside the box pretty much become "perfume on a pig" when considered alongside the fueling strategy of the system. If they didn't give general base maps away, the system would almost be unusable by the typical end user.

Creating a base fuel map of injector opening times from scratch is no trivial task. If you got that right, then you'd be back to the bad old days of retuning your engine when the weather changes due to the antiquated fueling strategy of the system.

THX...

Back to the Fast vs DFI then......... But I'll wait until I apply my belt on for the blower......

any news about the "new" fast unit??

/N.

Ugh!!

Just had the unenviable task of trying to get a Northstar Caddy w/ that crap on it to run right at different temps, etc.:(
As is already posted.. perfume on a pig......Stick to the FAST or Gen 7!!!:D

Ok..

Roumors says that the *new* FAST should be realesed this summer so I'll wait for it, and stick with my stock ECM for a while and doing some ERPOM work with the $58 code.......

/N.

I disagree. I've tuned many of the sytems on a variety of engines (Cmdr950, Gen6/7, FAST, SDS, Motec, BS3 and TEC) I didn't like tuning all as much but, in the end...they all get it done. None that I could tell held a superior advantage to giving a quality tune. There's nothing wrong w/ the Cmdr950. It's working pretty well on my 1500hp turbo smallblock w/ 160lb injectors. It's worked well w/ startup, warmup, driveability and WOT situations.

Programmable load points on the MAP and RPM scales is a pretty nice feature. I like picking where I need the resolution.

Using any WBO2 is pretty nice. Any 0-5V controller. Whether you like the LSU4 based O2 or the NTK L1H1 or L2H2 it's your choice. Especially when it comes time to replace the sensor!

It doesn't offer the sequential control but, will fire 4 injectors per/ rev in bank/bank which helps w/ large injectors. I've got mine about 14:1 A/F @ 950rpm. It's on the edge though.

The internal logger is nice. No need for the laptop mount in the car. It's a couple boxes for the high end user, making it end up with abit more wiring. Although I do pull the WBO2 alot to assist some of my carb'd buddies get their jetting dialed in ;)

I've yet to get my solenoids wired and see how well the outputs can control the boost curve. I'll hit that soon. For now I'll just use it to flip the noid between the two manual controllers for a 2 stage deal.

The all in one box does offer a cleaner install. I also happen to like the real time view of the FAST logger while tuning and the overlay feature. The GEN7 is pretty nice too, I wouldn't knock them.

Has anybody looked at or dealt with the EMS systems? I talked to the dealer at This Link Who thinks it's a pretty great system(of course he's selling it) keeping in mind that it has all of the good stuff but shaves a few bells and whistles to keep the price down to $895.

Their upscale model is also on that page. Please keep in mind that I am watching and learning in hope of deciding on the right one when I make the plunge.