Hit 6psi Last night! Then the Turbo blew :(

V8turboGMC

Took out the Camaro L36 (stock 3.8 V6) last night with the Freshly rebuilt T3/T4 BB Turbo. First light pass with the FMU cranked all the way up (CarTech) to keep it safe. Hit 6 psi in second gear felt real good then I heard a wine...like an M90 blower. Though it might be a messed up boot because I could not get any boost. Took it back home pulled the air filer and the compressor wheel was rubbing the cover....I was so pissed. Then I spun the wheel with my hand and you could see the Shaft was bent.

I was not running a BOV, but I figured one hit at 6psi would not bend a turbo shaft. I started thinking about the guy that rebuild it. I remember when he took the turbo apart we could see the shaft was damaged do to metal parts being sent through it. He said "I'll have it sent out and get it turned down a few thousands then put a correct bearing to compensate. So, I am kinda thinking that when he turned the shaft it made it weaker witch in turn (I think) destroyed the turbo. What do you guys think?

I have another Turbo... T63e with a Q-Trim Wheel .96 A/R. Do you guys think I should have the BB T3/T4 (stage 5 exhaust wheel, 62-1 compressor) redone, or put a tighter turbine housing on the T63 and run it?

Thanks in advance!
Kyle~

Sorry to hear about your turbo, these things happen sometimes.

There are two things that come to mind

1) Your oil supply to the turbo is not good, not good at all.

or

2) Your turbo builder knows as much about rebuilding turbos as I do, very little.

I think its got to do with 1) as a 6 psi pass is nothing on a turbo.

And a blow off will not kill a turbo this fast and questionably at all. All GN's do not come with a blow off and some of us have the stock turbo past 100k with no problems.

Where is your oil feed?

Oil feed is Great,
I found out what I did. I ran the turbo with NO IC pipes...just a free spinning turbo blowing into the atmosphere. I was Spinng the turbo way too fast. Thats what bent the Shaft.

Originally posted by DR.BOOSTER
Sorry to hear about your turbo, these things happen sometimes.

There are two things that come to mind

1) Your oil supply to the turbo is not good, not good at all.

or

2) Your turbo builder knows as much about rebuilding turbos as I do, very little.

I think its got to do with 1) as a 6 psi pass is nothing on a turbo.

And a blow off will not kill a turbo this fast and questionably at all. All GN's do not come with a blow off and some of us have the stock turbo past 100k with no problems.

Where is your oil feed?