History Lesson - Bush and the Guard

Originally posted by Randy Greenoe
But Bush was protecting Texas,big deal!

5 years after the Cuban Missile Crisis, protecting the Gulf Coast of the US was a big deal.

5 years after Sept 11 are you going to say about current Airforce pilots "they are just flying combat air patrols over US cities, big deal"?

Randy Greenoe,
No I wasn't over 18 when this photo was taken. I was only 11. My dad had already been to Nam twice before this photo was ever taken.
I want to clarify my statement. I am drawing a parallel to Kerry's 180's in his stance on different topics. Says one thing years ago then changes his mind and goes a different way than originally. Granted everyone changes their minds but to do it to change you standing with the whomever you want to align yourself is Wrong!
His dirty laundry on multiple topics are coming out to haunt him an probably jeopardize his pursuit of the Presidency.
The Vietnam war was run by the "Politicians" and didn't allow the Military to have Command and Control of its forces there. I understand that. They lost the war for us and sacrificed countless lives needlessly for their own reasons.;)

Drew

Originally posted by UNGN
Kerry better enjoy the next few weeks of Bush Bashing while he can, because his own record is out there and aint pretty.

The more people know about him, the less they will like him.

I post this Yesterday and the rumor today is Kerry is TOAST, taken out by other Democrats.

If your wife's worth $.5 Billion would you screw around on her?

It's sick how they are denegrating Reservist and the Guard as dodging Viet Nam, they need to check the memorial wall in Washington DC, for over 500 of those names are of National Guardmen killed during active service in Viet Nam. The only thing obvious during all this is that Kerry will save whatever, be whatever it takes, to be with "the in crowd". thus his anti war stand after his service. I say Patton had it completely right about Kerry.

5 years after the Cuban Missile Crisis, protecting the Gulf Coast of the US was a big deal.

That was gravy train compared to going to Nam. The average Joe could not get in the National Guard in the 60's and 70's .

5 years after Sept 11 are you going to say about current Airforce pilots "they are just flying combat air patrols over US cities, big deal"?

I certainly wouldn't compare it to the forces in Iraq ,very important ,but not like being in the war zone.

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
It's sick how they are denegrating Reservist and the Guard as dodging Viet Nam, they need to check the memorial wall in Washington DC, for over 500 of those names are of National Guardmen killed during active service in Viet Nam. The only thing obvious during all this is that Kerry will save whatever, be whatever it takes, to be with "the in crowd". thus his anti war stand after his service. I say Patton had it completely right about Kerry.

500 out of a total of 58152 total killed in Vietnam .

One thing that is really stupid that comes up with anything political and this is for both sides is complaining about what someone said or did 30 years ago. People like to think they are such purist but come on now, who hasn't done, said, worn, smoked, drank, hit, had sex with, danced to or watched on tv or drove something 30 years ago that today you would absolutely never do? PLEASE! That's part of maturing. Tell me in 30 years all those with tongue barbells and no teeth left cause they knocked them out will be encouraging their kids to go get pierced. Lots of things look and sound like good ideas at the time and some are but most OMG what the hell were we thinking is the usual reaction.

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
The only thing obvious during all this is that Kerry will save whatever, be whatever it takes, to be with "the in crowd". thus his anti war stand after his service. I say Patton had it completely right about Kerry.

Let's understand one thing. The young courageous men who served and saw combat in Nam, were not part of the "in crowd". The "in crowd" used their connections, money, and influence to obtain educational and medical deferments to avoid the draft. People who joined the guard in Texas when Bush joined really had connections. There were more then 5,000 people in front of him wanting to join, but somehow he got in. Whether his father who was a congressman form Texas had anything to do with it, you can judge.

If you were of draft age during Nam, you know what I am talking about. I could care less if Bush or Kerry(if nominated) wins, let’s just keep the facts straight. Is this BS really that important? I doubt it!!

Originally posted by CPAKCP
Let's understand one thing. The young courageous men who served and saw combat in Nam, were not part of the "in crowd". The "in crowd" used their connections, money, and influence to obtain educational and medical deferments to avoid the draft. People who joined the guard in Texas when Bush joined really had connections. There were more then 5,000 people in front of him wanting to join, but somehow he got in. Whether his father who was a congressman form Texas had anything to do with it, you can judge.

If you were of draft age during Nam, you know what I am talking about. I could care less if Bush or Kerry(if nominated) wins, let’s just keep the facts straight. Is this BS really that important? I doubt it!!
That's what I'm talking about!!

Originally posted by CPAKCP
There were more then 5,000 people in front of him wanting to join, but somehow he got in. Whether his father who was a congressman form Texas had anything to do with it, you can judge.

Please get your facts straight. The 5000 people waiting in front of Bush were for a FIGHTER PILOT'S SLOT, not to "get into the guard".

Big difference. His Dad was a Pilot in WWII and he didn't want to go in with a degree from Yale and clean wrenches and polish canopies. The Guard actually recruited guys like him, because they were capable of becoming fighter pilots, had leadership abilities and could devote a year to flight training.

If the Texas ANG trained in F4's, he could have gone to Viet Nam. One of his texas officers said he volunteered to go, but was turned down because he just flew 102's (high altitude interceptors). Some Texas ANG pilots did go.

Cpakcp, What I referred to as the "in crowd" at that time was the fashion to be against the war in Viet Nam. At that point, no one would say they supported the effort there.

Mark

Please get your facts straight. The 5000 people waiting in front of Bush were for a FIGHTER PILOT'S SLOT, not to "get into the guard".

5000 people waiting in front of Bush that don't get in but Bush does? That is an interesting fact. They go to Vietnam and Bush stays in Texas. I know when my brother in law got out of college he wanted to be a pilot and his ONLY option was the air force flying cargo missions to Vietnam.