hissing noise from vacuum booster

mechanical73

i switched over to vacuum brakes and when I hooked up the vacuum line to the booster i hear a noise - most likely a shot vacuum booster seal - coming from under the dash right by where the pedal hooks up to the booster rod.

its a brand new booster but it wouldn't be the first time something new is bad !

also, the car runs like crap with the vacuum hooked up to the booster but when I plug up the vacuum line off the engine its fine.

its got to be a vacuum leak due to that stupid booster

time to get a warranty booter. the hissing means the vaccum is bypassing and is not goin to work right. that why the idle is erratic. angel

On your booster, it's probably the seal that is cocked off center at the base of the rod inside the booster. Looks like a disc that covers the opening up inside the plastic tube, under the boot. Try moving the MC out of the way and disconnect the rod from the pedal and try to jiggle it around with engine running for vacuum. If that doesn't work, take the booster out and take the boot off and give it a look. Hook it to your vaccum line and start the car with the booster out to ascertain where the leak is. This will help you re-seat the seal by centering it over the opening.