Higher BLM with 10% ethanol gasoline?????

slipstick

I have been chasing the cause for higher than normal blms in my '87 GN. Most cells will go to 136-137. I have NO vacuum leaks and I have changed the O2 sensor. The driveability is fine. However, something has changed slightly in the last 6 months or so. I learned last week that the gasoline I have been using could contain up to 10% ethanol. I know that in carb cars the jets must be increased when using ethanol and I suppose gasoline with a percentage of ethanol would require some percentage of increase in jet size. Now, my question could the higher (higher than my normal) blm numbers be a result of the computer adding fuel (through the O2 sensor input) to compensate for the 10% ethanol in the gasoline??????

If I did my math right, you need 4.1% more fuel to get to stoich with E10 than you do with straight gasoline. So if your car was set up to where it achieved a BLM of 128 on straight gasoline, then you would expect the BLM to jump up to 133 when fed an E10 blend.

John

So does the logic that my higher blm numbers may be the result of my current gasoline containing 10% ethanol seem reasonable???????????????

Yes, this is why the E85 guys have to add around 30% at WOT.

No biggie, 1 or 2psi of fuel pressure will probably do the trick.;)

Hmm, very interseting. I got the same problem, my idle blms are at around 133-135 with all this 10% ethanol crap gas here in NJ. :mad:

I have no vacuum leaks that I can find, and no exhaust leaks before the turbo to cause this high blm. I have eric's 93 tt chip, and was wondering if he burns the chips to run strictly on straight gasoline? If so, I guess I need to increase the fuel % on the chip (because Ive been chasing down a 3rd gear knock problem forever!)?

So does the logic that my higher blm numbers may be the result of my current gasoline containing 10% ethanol seem reasonable???????????????

I have seen this on my Buick and Cadillac. The ethanol raises the O2 level in the exhaust which tells the computer you have a lean condition so it adds fuel. One reason the gas mileage drops with the alcohol blend.