High Voltage Alternator

kwcook

Finally getting back into my 85 ttype. I am very rusty since I have not tinkered with it for years. I put a new battery on and had my friend check the starter and alternator at napa. The Charging Test showed 15.76 Volts. Is this bad? If the alternator needs replaced what size should I go with. Also, would a volt booster to the fule pump cause this? Thanks for the help!

That is too high and may gas out your battery. Shouldn't hurt anything though on the car.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What size should I replace it with? I thought I recalled the factory was lacking.

Finally getting back into my 85 ttype. I am very rusty since I have not tinkered with it for years. I put a new battery on and had my friend check the starter and alternator at napa. The Charging Test showed 15.76 Volts. Is this bad? If the alternator needs replaced what size should I go with. Also, would a volt booster to the fule pump cause this? Thanks for the help!
12v battery needs no more than 14.5v to charge. Any more will fry the battery. Now a 14v battery requires 16.7v to maintain charge.

im bout to buy a new batt for my 87 GN, what do ya'll recommend? had a walmart everstart only lasted 3 years looking for more life than that.

Your alternator should be an CS144, 12V@140........ That will be fine..... It will charge your battery at the correct voltage (14.5) and should power all your electrical needs unless you have tons of gadgets (amps)....... Battery does not control amperage at all, just control volts in the system. You can continue to throw battery after battery in there. The alternator seems to be your issue as you stated previously. What alternator do you have? Alternator that are going bad can spike in amp/voltage, not just lack charging power and kill cell in the battery.....