High Mile Question

So if I run out of alky what can I do to run okay besides getting more alky? Just drive without boosting at all, change the chip, or just change your waste gate setting? I dont want to be dependent on alky.

It takes ALOT of boost to run out of alky. If you run out of alky, then dont boost. Or you could lower timing and boost but you will find it is not worth it.

Most stockish cars take anywhere from 4-10 oz of alky at WOT per 1/4 mile pass.

Stock TTA overflow 1.5 gallons. So 192 ounces of alky in your tank. 192/10 (being real heavy on the alky)

That is 4.8 miles of WOT under full boost. That is with the alky cranked up.

Jason

4.8 miles means nothing, I drive around for two weeks and then all of a sudden I am out of alky and now depend on it if I want any power, is there any way you can boost with out going to high on the boost while driving like say not going over 4K RPM? Or could I just get out of the car and turn a screw on the turbo's wastegate allowing me to only go to 15# of boost? I used to run nitrous on my GTA and did so becuase I could still go WOT and run my car hard even if I was out of spray, I dont want to now be depend on the alky if I get into a bind and need to be able to boost, This car will be a DD. Hopefully you at least understand my perspective, if not let me know. Thanks again, especialy the fact about how much alky is used and can be held.

you can set the level when you want the alky to come on. 5lbs, 10 lbs, whatever. Or turn the boost down to 13-15lbs and use 91. Then use race gas when you want to race.

4.8 miles means nothing, I drive around for two weeks and then all of a sudden I am out of alky and now depend on it if I want any power, is there any way you can boost with out going to high on the boost while driving like say not going over 4K RPM? Or could I just get out of the car and turn a screw on the turbo's wastegate allowing me to only go to 15# of boost? I used to run nitrous on my GTA and did so becuase I could still go WOT and run my car hard even if I was out of spray, I dont want to now be depend on the alky if I get into a bind and need to be able to boost, This car will be a DD. Hopefully you at least understand my perspective, if not let me know. Thanks again, especialy the fact about how much alky is used and can be held.

Haha the alky does not evaporate that fast. I have had the kit since December and besides for the first two weeks (tuning it was fun :)), I filled it and it hasnt moved.

Sure you can lower the boost. You just pull the wastegate, and turn it. Just do it when the car is cold....:eek:

Jason

Julios kit (Alkycontrol) is progressive. This is needed because you do not need to be spraying the same amount of alcohol at 25psi as you would at 5psi. You want it to come on earlier so the alky is spraying and the pump wont be playing catchup. Once you drive the car you will notice how fast the boost goes from 1-max boost. It is pretty fast! I have mine coming on at 4-5...

Jason

are there any no progressive kits? and if so would they only be racing application?

The old SMC is non progressive. He may still have some old ones. I have the non-progressive and I like it alot. It has worked great since I got it. I have it set to spray at arouond 17 pounds. I don't have any knock problems, but why not get the newer progressive ones? SMC and the Alcy control are progressive. Having that control over tunability sounds like a positive thing IMO.

I didn't know that the non-progressive design was the old technology, that’s why I was confused at why there were two kinds, progressive is obviously better, no argument there.

I checked out the car today in person and I was surprised, the car was even worse than the guy had lead on. Just by looking at it I could put about 6K in it for it to run right, and another 3K just to make it look okay. While driving it the transmission struggled to change gears and the most boost I ever saw was 7#. Not the mention he says that some times it runs okay and others it doesn’t. The car has been stored outside for the past year and only driven maybe 150 miles. I could go on and on about all the crap wrong with it, but it was bad, and the lowest he would go is 5,500.