High Mile Question

koolctk

I am a noob to TTA's but not thirdgens, and I have been looking at a TTA that is local to me in CA that’s owned by a 74 year old man who wants to buy an ls7 vette. He’s the original owner and it has 149,xxx miles on it, so I assume not a whole lot of abuse.

Paint and interior have good wear and the turbo has never been replaced, he said that 8 months ago it was given a $600 tune up at a Pontiac dealer but doesn’t know exactly what it consisted of (he stated he wasn’t very mechanically inclined)

My question is, what am I going to need to replace on this engine besides the turbo? I don’t know how long these blocks last and what I can do to it with that many miles on it, I don’t know exactly how the a turbo powered car would effect the engine and if the Buick top end was built to withstand that many miles (siad he always used Mobil 1). And how about the 200r4, how long do they last, and whats a cost for a mildly built one?

I am weary of buying this car since it has so many miles, but I would like something that I could work on but not be forced to dump tons of money just to be a nice driver (I like the car but am not into collectables).

Any help would be very appreciated, I am just looking for some clarification and knowledge I cant find through a simple search. Thanks

From various posts I've seen, there are a number of TTA's around with over 200,000 miles on them. The 3.8 appears to be a pretty sturdy block. Some questions for you: Cloth or leather interior? T-tops? Is the spoiler original? Is it cracked? Does it have the original owner" kit( worth about $500)? And finally- how much?

The motors are good for a lot of miles. The transmission is another story. It will depend on what you get the car for. I am sure it will need thousands of dollars to get it cleaned up though.

koolctk,
The Trans on these cars have problems. Fortunately one of the best Turbo Buick shops around in is in Sacto. It is ATO Performance at 2660 Mercantile Dr, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742. You will want to contact Bruce at (916) 636-3283.

Rear spoilers usually have to be replaced on these cars with aftermarket glass ones (Like all 3rd gen GTA/Trans Ams/Formulas from 1987-1990). If it is a leather car the interior should be well used and replacement kits are available through Jax.

I live in Roseville.

- Dave

Buying any car with that many miles is going to be a question mark as far was what it will cost to get it straight. Or fix potential problems. The trans probably will not hold for a car making good power. I would assume $2K for a transmission. My 40K mile car had a pretty weak transmission. I had it rebuilt w/converter for $2400.

How much does he want for the car?

Thanks for the replies. The car has t-tops, cracked spoiler, leather seats both front are worn, I didn't ask about the kit, and he is asking $7900 but is very lenient.

The only thing I am concerned about is the engine and trans, I know enough about the rest of the car and what to do to fix it and price.

Are there any other trans that will bolt to the 3.8?
Any thing else to worry about for it to be a daily driver besides maybe a turbo?

If you pass on the car I'm interested....even though its in Cali just like the one I have now was!:mad:

Contacted the guy to set up a time to see it and he said that he took it out to test drive it and see if everything was okay, and when he floored it the car would sputter and die. He took it to a local dealership and is now getting it diagnosed there. I told him to let me test drive it and talk about a price before he got it fixed, so now am gong to see if he will take say 5-5.5k depending on the diagnostic.

Other transmissions will bolt up. 350 and 400 for example. But just get the 200 built by a reputable guy and you will be fine.

Contacted the guy to set up a time to see it and he said that he took it out to test drive it and see if everything was okay, and when he floored it the car would sputter and die. He took it to a local dealership and is now getting it diagnosed there. I told him to let me test drive it and talk about a price before he got it fixed, so now am gong to see if he will take say 5-5.5k depending on the diagnostic.

The th-400 is really the only option but you will lose overdrive. You can use other transmissions, but there is no advantage. You can get a good 200r4 built for 2k. Search "brian" on this board and look at the transmission he sells.

I would not trust the dealer with the car...They do no know enough about these cars to fix them correctly. The car needs:a new fuel pump for one, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, all new fluids (tranny, rear end, oil and filter, coolant ect.) new sparkplugs and wires, a tank of good gas and a new chip. TurboTweak Home I would bet with those changes and a scanmaster, you could be in business for under 1k assuming it doesnt need other repairs.

Jason

so a t56 or a 700r4 or a t5 would work but you say they have no advantage?
Why is the th400 the only option?

The only "upgrade" is the th-400 for most. The reason I say that is, the 700r4 is no stronger than a 200r4 when built correctly and the only tranny other than stock people use is the th-400. It isnt a direct bolt in, but it is closest.

The only reason people go them is because they are VERY strong. TTA850 has *I think* over 500 passes on his without a rebuild.

I've never seen anyone use a t5 or t56

Are there any manual transmission that will bolt up to the 3.8?
How is the 200r better than or the same as the 700r? Both were used in different cars and given different names, but unless they are one in the same, there must be some even if minute difference between the two and there own separate positives. And as far as I know it is much easier to come across a 700r than a 200r, so if need be I could put one in my car.

Are you talking about the 700r that are smaller than other 700r? I have heard that in say F-bodies they used a different kind of weaker 700r for the v6’s, or is this really a 200r?

Are there any manual transmission that will bolt up to the 3.8?
How is the 200r better than or the same as the 700r? Both were used in different cars and given different names, but unless they are one in the same, there must be some even if minute difference between the two and there own separate positives. And as far as I know it is much easier to come across a 700r than a 200r, so if need be I could put one in my car.

Are you talking about the 700r that are smaller than other 700r? I have heard that in say F-bodies they used a different kind of weaker 700r for the v6’s, or is this really a 200r?

Manuals...that is a topic widely discussed..the consensus: you will run slow unless you want go over 180 stock. Gm had a 6 speed test mule (search 72firebird he posted a thread with some pics of it) and it ran real slow in the 1/4 mile because it could not hold boost between shifts.

The 700r4 uses a different torque convertor and has different splines. Otherwise, I am not sure. They were used in the 305 TBI and 350 FI Firebird and TA's. They were not as strong. They are more available because they made a helluva lot more of them. 1555 TTA's+GN's<all the TA's,Firebirds, and whatever other GM products came with them.

Here...http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/213911-brf-street-strip-trans-perfect-daily-driver.html

Is your car a 11 second car? Great deal there...

HTH Jason

EDIT: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-trans-am-tech/196882-special-ttas.html

thanks for all the info, will any 700r bolt up to the 3.8? I say this in case I need a tranny to run in an emergency per say and get one from pick and pull.

and whats the fastest you guys think I can go on 91 octane with no alky, just a fat turbo and everything to support it?

Honestly, I would not even mess with anything other than a 200. There are some good 200 trans shops in CA if it blows. If the car is stock it is probably running 13s. The stock trans is plenty for that.

I am new to turbo buicks but not forums, I had searched to see if it was possible with 91 or if anyone had done it and found nothing. I have already read about the 93, the problem is that I have no way of getting 93 here in CA, and everyone who is running alky and a chip are using 93. The tranny question makes plenty of sense, I am just a little skeptical about the alky, in that I don’t know everything about it yet, and I still don’t know much about turbo. If I use the alky for my car will it only come on if I turn it on (switch), and does that now mean that with my TT chip I cant boost unless the alky is on? Or do I just have to set a boost controller? Still searching on the forum for a lot of answers but any you guys have would be great. Thanks again.

I run alky and 91...

With the alky, you just leave the system on all the time. "On" as in armed. That way, shall you have to pass someone or make a move, the alky will spray. It is boost sensitive off the MAP sensor.

With an alky chip, you must have alky. 23/21 timing is not good for straight pump gas. I have a HD wastegate and set the boost and forget it. I prime the system everytime the car sits for awhile or is driven without boost. I have not had knock since the system was installed.

Jason