high maf reading at idle and trouble code

onmyway87

Ok I purchased a MAF translator and a LT1 sensor ..my MAF was reading around 13 with the stocker..put the new one on ..well no change..my blms are low at 105 and I'm getting a MAL code 45 . I have no idea where to go from here. As you can imagine my car runs like crap stalls/stumbles . Can anyone help me out ? Thanks in advance

I'm not an expert on these cars by any means....but I had the exact same problem not too long ago. I had a bad o2 sensor and the middle section of my coilpack was completely dead. I replaced my coilpack, ignition module and 02 sensor (about $200) and that fixed my problem. Just some info with my experience on my car....hope this helps

Need more detail.....

Are you sure you have the dip switch settings correct for that MAF meter in the translator?

What chip?

I would recommend killing the power to the ECU and hooking it back up after sitting a few min. This will force the ECU to relearn the idle settings.

My chip is commander chip for MSD 50# injectors.. the translator that I have is non adjustable it just plugs up .I will try that with the ECM as you stated . Thanks

Far as I know its non adjustable ..if so I need to be schooled ..
143425-67c7a17e4f125cc89b81126523c3214d.jpg

You need to remove the cover (4 screws). There are 4 dipswitches and 2 rotary switches which need to be set for the
MAF type you are using...its in the instructions..Or do a search here there are many threads regarding this.

What version is that? Pic is too small. Looks like the adjustable ones, if it is, check how to set up the switches, I think for an extender its on, on, off, off.

There was a recent thread on here where someone had a very early translator that was truly non-adjustable. Yours looks just like mine..... and should be adjustable.... there are 4 tiny black screws holding the cover on..... you will need the proper paperwork to adjust the translator for your particular MAF meter. The translator will allow your old '87 vintage ECU to ba able to use the data from one of many different MAF meters...... you just have to tell the translator what MAF meter you have.... and it translates the signal properly to send to the ECU. If these settings are wrong..... it could easily throw off BLM's and driveability stuff. With it set correctly..... it should run better than a stock MAF meter and no translator....

HTH