High Idle Speed

HOFSGNX

Guys, driving the car recently I have some issues with drivability. The idle seems to stay pretty high, even after warm-up. Just after starting the car and putting it into drive, it will actually shift from first to second gear without even touching the accelerator. When slowing down to a stoplight, with the car in drive (not overdrive), it will not downshift through the gears like my 87 Turbo Buick will, because I think the idle or something else is wrong.

I had the TPS set to .42 and if you let the car just sit there and idle down it will eventually come down, but just driving around it seems to want to stay up there around 900 to 1300 rpms. So when slowing down to a stoplight the shifting gets all messed-up and the car seems to fight you to get back down to first gear.

Another issue is the car does shift early in the lower RPM range causing it to chug a bit as well and making it harder for the boost to come up when you get on it.

Any thoughts on this stuff?

Yup.. back to you need a scantool to diagnose issues.

I bet IAC is zero becuase set screw was turned all the way in.. set screw on TB is to be adjusted using a scantool to get IAC counts in the 20-30 range.

Blown hose will also do this, like the one going to the power brake booster.. that will increase idle... and peg the BLM's

Scanmaster is coming along with a boost controller. What are BLM's?

Checked the large black hose going to the power brake booster and it looks fine. The set screw (it has a tan rubber "cap" on it) for what I believe is the throttle position adjustment seems to be turned in part way, it does not appear to be all the way in. Any other idea's?

On that boost controller, both the RJC and the Electronic one from Full Throttle Speed boast quicker spool up - any recommendations as to which one I should get?

Does everyone's stock tranny shift at low RPM's causing a bit of "chugging"?

Razor said:
Yup.. back to you need a scantool to diagnose issues.

When you get the scanmaster.. we'll continue.

Use the search feature.. just type BLM :D

HOFSGNX said:
On that boost controller, both the RJC and the Electronic one from Full Throttle Speed boast quicker spool up - any recommendations as to which one I should get?

No my tranny doesnt do that, but having an engine not running rite doesnt help.

Leave your stock boost configuration alone, you fudge with this and mess up, you'lll blow a hole through a piston. Learn your car at 15-16 PSI.. then screw jacking the boost up..

Got that scanmaster yet :wink:

HOFSGNX said:
Scanmaster is coming along with a boost controller. What are BLM's?

Checked the large black hose going to the power brake booster and it looks fine. The set screw (it has a tan rubber "cap" on it) for what I believe is the throttle position adjustment seems to be turned in part way, it does not appear to be all the way in. Any other idea's?

Does everyone's stock tranny shift at low RPM's causing a bit of "chugging"?
Like Razor said leave the boost alone. The TPS does not have a tan rubber cap on it. I believe you are talking of the IAC. Again, like razor said, use the search button for BLM. If you don't know what causes high BLM after you finish searching, you havent searched enough. The topic has beaten many horses to death.

Jason

HOFSGNX said:
Any thoughts on why it would shift so soon in the low RPM range?
Get the scanmaster and tell us the numbers. A lot of things could cause "chugging".

Jason

Here are the numbers (I put them on another post as well):

bL = 129
RPM's = 775
tPS = .44 at idle and 430 at WOT
IAC = 16 at hot idle

Idle is 775.. whats wrong with that?

Search adjusting TV cable.. that may cure your tranny issue.

HOFSGNX said:
Here are the numbers (I put them on another post as well):

bL = 129
RPM's = 775
tPS = .44 at idle and 430 at WOT
IAC = 16 at hot idle
Those numbers look good. The WOT TPS *might* need a little adjusting.

Jason