High iac question

dragrazor

my buddy and i just installed a bigger turbo with a 4 inch turbo inlet pipe with the stock mass air on. This required us to install a champion angle boss. We started the motor and the motor starts, idles high, comes down and stalls. It will not idle. We have the stock injectors with a stock chip for now until we install an sd chip, powerlogger, bigger injectors, etc. The motor idled fine until we did the mentioned upgrades. We just need the car to run for now to get the exhaust done. Iac numbers are 150. Blm is at like 140 but it was like that before we began tinkering with it. I havent tried messing with the iac because it was fine before we installed everything. Do things change once you install an angle boss? Do i need to readjust the iac? The tps is at .42. Any suggestions? If i left relevant information out, ask please. Thank you.

AssUming everything is sealed tight with no vacuum leaks, an IAC of 150 means the computer thinks the car doesnt' have enough air to idle and the IAC has done everything it can to add some.

The correct method to pull that number down is to open the throttle blade (then fix the now skewed TPS reading).

From the mods you did, It seems odd that the car would now be starving for air... but these cars like to do strange things. ESP when you do mods out of order.

On the BLM's reading 150, I almost wonder if the turbo-to-header seal is intact. If they O2 sees fresh air from outside it'll think the engines lean and command more fuel.

Then again, messing with the pipes might have been just the excuse for the stock MAF to finally fruit out.

Last edited:
yes its actually the Champion relocator iac housing and it can only goes one way on it. But gonna check again for any vacuum leaks thanks for the reply

Did you unplug the iac at all while install the angle boss? I believe if you unplugged it you may have to reset it. There is some procedure to reset the iac but can't remember off hand. Check gnttype.org for the proper procedure. Will find a lot of good basic info articles there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The angle boss from BOP engineering is and excellent piece that I use on all my turbo cars. It's a one piece CNC machined housing that replaces the original IAC block. No adapters or extra gaskets. Straight bolt on. Never had any issues with them on any car I have installed them on. Bolt on and go.

We removed the 4 inch turbo inlet pipe and installed a stock 3 inch. Connected everything and still had a high IAC and ran rough. We removed the champion angle boss and that fixed the problem. I made sure we installed the angle boss correctly so I don't know what the problem is/was. At least its running good now. We'll see. Thank you all for your help.

Here's a dumb question,but, did you use 2 gaskets for the iac? Maybe one what's seated correctly? I still think you should try to reset the iac.

Image1459458367.038484.jpg

I did make sure we used both gaskets. I did not reset the IAC. When I removed the angle boss, I did not reset the IAC and it worked fine. Do I need to reset it only when an angle boss is installed?

I did make sure we used both gaskets. I did not reset the IAC. When I removed the angle boss, I did not reset the IAC and it worked fine. Do I need to reset it only when an angle boss is installed?
You should not have to reset the IAC. You are sure both gaskets were installed correctly when you had the Champion adapter on?

You shouldn't have to , but it would've been worth a shot.

Yes, both gaskets were on, I made sure of that. Unless I missed something, but it was pretty straight forward. I am with you guys, no reason for it not to work so it could have been the resetting that was the issue. I'll keep experimenting. Just wish it wasn't Africa hot down here in south florida!!