high HP w/t-tops?

got rice?

i just cant own a GN without t-tops.im on #2. my question is does anyone know if im asking for trouble building my GN to run 9's/10's? other than for safty im sure i need a cage to keep from twisting and cracking my car apart,but i will only put in an 8 point because of the t-tops. anyone doing this with their topped TR? all imput and suggestions welcome. thanks

Here is a pic of my buddy's GN. It ran 9.7@145 with 15psi of boost.

Attachments

• TGN.jpg
    TGN.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 439
Ted A. said:
10pt cage and my t-top car lauched straight and no issues of any kind.
i figure 10 point would be best,but i just dont like the idea of the roof bars with the t-tops.

Go Ahead

I RUN MID TO HIGHT 10S WITH 1.48 60 FTS WITHOUT PROBLEM EXEPT FOR HEAD GASKETS! HI HI :biggrin:

Chris's Car is is a t top and he is putting about 1700HP through it until he can turn the boost up. It has a 12 or 14 point I can not remember at this time.

Ill be putting an 6-8point in my car this spring I have all ready gone 11.78 on slicks off the foot break with t-tops there is another GN at Milan that runs deep in the 10's with t-tops and only a 6 point cage no issues hope this helps and bump for you :eek:

I had just installed 28” tall Hoosier soft compound slicks, had Torco 118 octane race fuel in the tank, and a tune up that included 24 lbs of boost and no detonation (was running the car on 19 & 20 with issues all year long). Did some tricks to the car that allowed me to build 18 lbs of boost using the foot brake. This is my wife’s car so she is the one that races it at the track.

Took it to the track. My wife launched pretty hard and the center section of the roof panel that holds the T –tops onto the car twisted and broke. Then that center section flew off the car. This caused the tops to fly up in the center, thank God the A post and B post T-top catches held the other end of the tops in place. As soon as this happened my wife let out of the throttle and was a little shaken up. I was Disappointed because I was positive this was the tune up that was going to give me 11 second bragging rights.

Since then I have done some investigating. I have discovered that our car is one of the many that is missing 4 of the body bushings. On each location where a body bushing is located, they should be stacked like this: Car body, then a bushing, then the frame rail, and another bushing, a large washer and then the fastener holding it all together. In the middle of the frame on both sides our car was missing it’s under the frame rail body bushings. A gap existed in-between the washer and the frame rail in these four locations. The bushings were just missing. The aggravating thing is my 86 Monte Carlo has all of its bushings. Since this incident I have looked at many Buicks and discovered that the majority of them are missing these four center body bushings. Indecently these are the bushing on the body that are directly below the t-tops.

Sorry to ramble on, but I would check to make sure you have all the body bushings. By the way POSTONS sells just these four bushings, if you need them.

I run low 11's with TTops and no cage. I do however have every upper and lower body bushing (including the GNX) installed in my car. I used the Energy Susp. kit. No problems. I have pulled 1.5 60's. I have heard that TTop cars do not have the problem of the B-pillars cracking. There used to be a red Monte SS around here that ran 7's that had TTops......QWK are you out there :) I loved that car :(

Edit: BTW, I use a transbrake too.

I have a 6 point in my car, ran lots of 10s before i even had a bar with no problems.

The bushings were just missing
No, not missing. Buick left them out by design. If you look at the Buick parts manual or the shop manual, you will see that there only a couple of locations that got the lower bushings. The other locations got a "spacer washer" instead. The part number is 337559, and it's used at positions 3, 4, and 7. Not sure why Buick did this- maybe it makes the car quieter, or the ride smoother, or maybe it just saved a few bucks. But they left those lower cushions off deliberately, not by accident.

Ormand said:
No, not missing. Buick left them out by design. If you look at the Buick parts manual or the shop manual, you will see that there only a couple of locations that got the lower bushings. The other locations got a "spacer washer" instead. The part number is 337559, and it's used at positions 3, 4, and 7. Not sure why Buick did this- maybe it makes the car quieter, or the ride smoother, or maybe it just saved a few bucks. But they left those lower cushions off deliberately, not by accident.

I have always wanted to put these on my car. It is on my "to-do" list but i never seem to get around to it...

So far it does not sound like anyone is running 10's without the cage or bushings without problems.

Sam sorry to hear of your T Top headache, I can only image adding that mess to the already leaking, windy and rusty T Top problems that already exsist.

Race Jace said:
I have always wanted to put these on my car. It is on my "to-do" list but i never seem to get around to it...

I actually bought them but haven't put them yet (on my "to-list" too). I've run a few 1.5-1.6 60' times with T-tops and no cage/bar without drama.

Jim