Hi need advice i seen this 1986 for sale

1985_ttype

Hi i seen this car for sale and i was wondering if you guys can tell me if its worth me buying it? He wants 5000 for it.here is what he said.I say project because it has a blown head gasket and you can't just drive it home. I bought it from an impound yard on lein sale so it is not a salvage title and appears to have never been wrecked. It has the original paint with some failing clear coat areas along with some scratches and parking lot dings. Also the bumper fillers are bad. The interior is pretty nice with no tears in the seats and it looks like someone replaced the carpet and had the headliner replaced. It has the original GN wheels and center caps. I have purchased a new updated shifter handle for it as the original was broke and a new trunk carpet kit, I also have a nice original GN steering wheel and some other odds and ends to go with the car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 109
I could be wrong but if it has "clear coat" it isn't original paint and it could be covering other body work/issues.

First, you ask if it's worth buying, then state you have bought it. It sounds like the ? actually is, "did I make a good purchase?"
Did you run a Carfax, or other verification on it?
How many miles on it?
If you already own it, have you successfully done a title transfer/registration?
If all that has cleared, and there are no other "surprises" down the road, you probably did Ok. [Assuming it's only a head gasket, and the crank isn't residing in the oil pan, etc.] A paint job is going to double your initial investment.
Charles is right. The OEM paint is lacquer, not base/clear.

Yeah definitely not original paint. You can see how the passenger side quarter panel doesn't match the door. By no means a deal breaker though because the car is obviously going to need paint work anyway. I'd be more concerned with the mechanical issues. If it doesn't run then you can't be 100% sure that "all it needs" is a head gasket. If you're mechanically inclined then do as much investigating as you can. Turn the engine over with the starter if possible and listen for peculiar noises. Check and sniff all the fluids. Things like that. The car looks pretty solid from the pics but there's no replacement for laying your eyes and hands on the car. Check for the usual problem spots with these cars. If all it really does need is a head gasket and you can do the work yourself then l'd say $5K isn't a bad starting point. The fact that it doesn't run is a huge negotiating point for you. I'd try and get it for $3500 and see what happens. You never know. Good luck

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hi no i havent bought it. I put everything like he wrote it to me. Thats why it sounds like i did buy it. Im get a friend at the dmv to check the vin see if its a clean title and stuff.. Should i do a separate carfax as well?

Oh so the clear coat thing would state it is not the original paint. Good to know. On the miles i will ask him about them nw. He said the car does run but he doesnt run it cause of the gasket problem. Thanks for the help.

What are the usual promblem spots on these cars to keep any eye out for? Thank you but i maybe left out it does run but he said it would be best not to drive it home cause it can make the issue a bigger problem.

What are the usual promblem spots on these cars to keep any eye out for? Thank you but i maybe left out it does run but he said it would be best not to drive it home cause it can make the issue a bigger problem.

A blown h/g could have pushed antifreeze into the oil. If that's the case, running it can/will take the brgs out.
Look in the rad to see if the coolant is up. If so, it may have blown the gasket out..See it sticking out along the edge of the head?
problem spots?? Would take a book to list them....
Some MAJOR:
Trans is toasted. [Blown hg indicates it may have been beat on.]
Under body rot at the mounts.
Diff worn out.

Here are a few more pix.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 78
Paint job itself will be 5k assuming it has no rust or if you have to change any panels. Any rust under the doors?(couldn't really tell from the door pic). If the head gasket is gone, a rebuild may be in order. That could be another 3k or more with parts. If you could save some more money, i would probably save for one that is in better shape. Thats a 3000 dollar car with all you say it needs. The problems are the surprises.

OP's original post was " And it has a blown head gasket but it does run but dont use it cause of that gasket. " (Member's Introduction)

The more I read the more I am confused? Not sure if it drives, don't drive? Blown head gasket, not blown head gasket? He bought it, he didn't by it?

Either way I suggested to him, don't buy the car for 5K. To fix the body, motor, paint, etc. on top of the 5K - he'd be better off paying a bit more money and buying a car already fixed up and running.

Where in CA? Feel free to pass the info to me in a PM. I may be looking for a resurrection project.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app