Here I go again....PCV

The idea of the fuel filter and the PS valve cover are both interesting ideas...

Hawaiin Turbo, you said that you tried this and haven't had any probs? You haven't noticed any oil in the intake??

I'm also exploring this because my car has had the prob of knock and someone suggested on another thread that the oil being ingested is reducing the octane level and can cause a knock. Not sure if that's what's going on in my car, but I sure would like to eliminate the prob with oil being drawn up in there..

What about these check valves that were being sold a time back? Still being sold... effective?? Or just go with the AC Delco?

Thanks for the great suggestions..

I tried the fuel filter thing, and it didn't work at all for me. The filter just got soaked with oil and then came right on into the TB.

Also tried the passenger valve cover thing, but enough oil get thown around in there that it was getting past the splash gaurd and sucking up into the pcv also. Just seems like so much vaccum that any oil close gets sucked in. It would be nice to try and reduce the vaccum. The restrictor inline with the pcv might have some merrit. Dunno if it would help reduce the vaccum or not.

As for a check valve, you use it in conjunction with the pcv, not by itself. I've got one on order just so keep boost from pressurizing the CC. I don't now that it would effect the amount of vaccum though. I just really don't know what to do, but I may try the restictor orfice to see if that helps any.

I also went with the Fel pro 1200's. I put a little KN filter on the intake where the PCV was. There was a little film of oil on my Power Plate, but nothing like before, a puddle of oil.
The oil in the intake could be your knock problem, if there is alot of oil in there knocking the octane down.
The check valve is there only to stop boost from going back into the engine, which the PCV should do anyway. The AC Delco has a metered vacuum leak,supposedly taylored for our cars.
Opz we4, did you replace your breather before doing this? Kirban's has them for 15.00 for two.

HTH,
Paul

Valve cover breather? I haven't replaced it, but I guess I could clean it. I've got a breather on the PS valve cover and a breather on the oil fill tube. Not sure what you're talking about, help me out here:confused:

EXCELLENT PARTICIPATION!

Great participation, fellows!

This particular problem can be found in old, old threads & posts, going way back.

If we keep this thread going until we find the direct CAUSE(S) & CURE(S), this thread will become a reference for all the guys with the problem now, and in the future.

Steady on the case!

:)

BlackBuick, No saturation............. yet.:) I did have to add another breather on the driver side because the pressure would push out the dip stick. With the two breathers everything is fine.

opz WE 4, I'm talking about the stock breather that's on the passenger side. I wouldn't clean it. There is a filter like material in there, and there cheap enough.

What next???

So lets say I have "fixed" the problem of oil being sucked up into the intake through the PCV valve, is there a way to clean the oil in the intake, doghouse, and on the power plate without taking it apart?

Heres One.I bought a set of those TA large valve covers and two new K&n filters fot the valve covers.I went down the track a couple of times and notice alot of smoke (oil burning)I pulled over and seen the dip stick had poped out and oil was on the headers and there was a puddle of oil sitting under the throttle intake sitting in the intake valley.I bought another set of valver cover gaskets( thinking they were leaking and I forgot to put the dip stick all the way in after looking at the oil) and changed them .It did the same thing.I thought it was the valve covers leaking.As I took the valve covers off again I looked at the little black rubbers were the filter go into the valve covers.I tried to blow air through them hadly anything went through and it was way too restricktive.There were two over lapping pieces of rubber in there.So I cut a half moon (or cut one sideof the two rubbers out) shape out on both of the rubbers and tried that.Problem gone!I also did a compression test (because someone said I had blow by or bad rings on a 68,000khr engine)and it was right on.No problem no more.:)

Interesting suggestion Mike... I'm just a bit confused..

You took the passenger side valve cover, off and found that the rubber grommet that holds the filter on the end of the VC was almost completely closed off??

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it's one of those things I've never bothered to look at in detail. HRmm..

On both new TA valve covers that I bought ,they came with two vent hole (At the top of each valve cover)one on each valve cover.The also came with a little black rubber inset that fit on top of the valve cover and that's were the two small K&N filters go.The two small rubber inserts had a flap that over lap each other with a tiny long slit up the middle.That is what I cut .I cut a half moon shape or half circle.Did the same on the other side also.That solver my problem.I also always used a ac delco PCV .

On the TA valve covers ,there is not a vent or filter at the front of the valve cover like the stock one was by the turbo.Hope this clear it up a bit .This is just what happened to me and I thought I should pass it along.
P.s Fubar was helping me figure out this problem.Thanks again!
Mike

Thanks for clearing that up Mike..

Didn't catch on the the TA valve covers.. still interesting.

I'm still thinking either restrict the amount of vaccum going to the pcv, or put a hole on the top of a valve cover, with an extended tube, and then put pcv on there. Any thoughts to either of these?

??Why??How??

How does the oil get to the PCV valve? The vacuum won't suck it up out of the oil pan! IF, and that's a big if on purpose, there is no puddle of oil at the bottom of the PCV valve, there should be no carry over of oil into the intake. When the stock system is working, the air will come in to the crankcase through the pass side valve cover, after coming in through the air filter and MAF. Air will then go down through the crankcase, and back up and out through the PCV, when the engine is running under vacuum. Should be very little carry over of oil to the PCV, but is easy for oil to go back the other way, from valve cover to turbo inlet. To stop oil from being sucked into the PCV valve, fix whatever is letting it puddle up under the valve. I don't understand where the oil would come from to puddle up on top of the valley pan. There is already a restriction in the stock PCV vavle, but it is sized to control the "leak rate" so the idle won't lean out, it's not meant as a restriction to stop oil flow. I'm just curious as to where all the oil actually comes from, how it gets on top of the valley pan.

Where???

It has been mentioned several times that the return line from the turbo will dump right onto the valley pan. My guess is if it does not drain quick enough, then it will get sucked up by the PCV valve.

I am having a problem with a lot of oil getting into the doghouse and intake. There is no oil before the throttle plate so that tells me that the turbo is fine. I checked the PCV and although there is some oil present, it doesn't appear to be enough to "coat" the inside of the doghouse....still trying to get this figured out.

If it is caused by oil from the turbo return onto the valley pan, has anyone had an oil/PCV problem on a car running no valley pan, like with Fel Pro 1200's?

I don't know how oil is getting ontop of the Valley pan or I would have fixed it by now. I pulled the intake off and replaced the old valley pan, made a resriction on the valley pan to keep oil from the return line from going on top of it, the best I could tell, and I still have the problem.:mad: I realize that if no oil is pooling on the valley pan then I wouldn't have a problem, but I've been unable to stop it. I mean I've literally spent over 6 months trying to solve this thing. I thought when I had the intake off that would fix it, but it didn't. That's why I'm trying to come up with another solution now.

Billsgn, I'd guess that if you have alot of oil in the doghouse, then it's coming from the pcv. If you pull the line it may not look like much in it, but if you put a catch can in there you'll be amazed at the amount of oil that the thing is sucking:eek:

I've said this before, but, I seem to have the greatest problem after the car has been run pretty good a couple of times. Then at idle it's pulling oil like mad. DEATH TO THE PCV:mad:

Ok, another thought, looking for feedback.
Looking down into the gromet where the pcv goes, it looks like that when the pcv is down in there it actuall sets pretty close to the valley pan on the side closest to the head. What if, you took a piece of pipe of the appropriate size and made it so that it doesn't sit down in there as far as the pcv does? Only let it go in there just far enough to seat, then connect the pipe to the pcv with a piece of tubing(short piece). Think keeping it as far away from the valley pan(and oil) as possible would let it not suck up any oil? I know oil gets on the valley pan, but surely it doesn't get all the way to the bottom of the intake. Does it? I'm just throwing out suggestions here. Might sound stupid though:)

Out of desperation, I have decided to punch a hole in the valley pan inline with the pcv. Hopefully this will allow the oil to drain rather than puddle below the pcv.