help with USB key

JDEstill

Turboliscious!
OK, just got this old laptop. Running Win98 SE. This thing doesn't have a floppy drive, doesn't have a modem, doesn't have much of anything. No way to get info in or out of the computer except via a CD-ROM and a USB port.

I've got a 64 meg USB memory key, got it from Dell. All the other computers I've ever stuck this thing into, the computer instantly saw it, installed the appropriate drivers, no problem. On this laptop, when I plug it in I get nothing. Zero, nada, zip. It has no idea that it is there.

I thought it was the USB port itself at first, but the other USB devices I've plugged into it (camera and... something else, thought just evaporated from my mind) were instantly recognized and it wanted to install the drivers for them.

So... any ideas? I really want to get this thing working so I can start putting some files on it. I want this to be my DS laptop, but since I can't get any files moved onto it, I'm kinda stuck right now.

John

Do you mean a USB flash drive?
If you're using it with Win 98 you'll need to load the driver that came with it. With XP (not sure on 2000 or ME) you don't have to load the driver.

you may have to run the cd that came with it first. See if there are any installers on the cd, after that plug the device into the usb port. It should "see" it, recognize it and install the proper drivers for it

Yes, I guess a flash drive would be the proper name for it. I got it with another, brand new Dell laptop, and it didn't come with a CD or anything. I guess all the other machines I've plugged it into are XP machines, and they've all had the proper driver already on the machine somewhere.

John

Never mind. I did some searching on Dell's site and got what I needed. I ended up having to burn some drivers onto a CD and getting them into this old laptop that way. Apparently the laptop was seeing the device, but didn't give any recognition of it. When I looked at it through the control panel it said the device had driver issues... Working good now.

John