Help with Honda trans before I scrap it please

84turbo6

Okay I have been driving my gn as a daily driver now because my Hondas trans went out I'm guessing, but I'm not fully shure, soo before I scrap the car Im gona ask for some help from the most helpful people I know... The turbobuick site:) the car is a 2001 Honda civic with 240k miles on it, I baught it for 300, all was working fine I did a tune up myself, the only thing I did not do was change the trans fluid cuz I could not get the plug off, I now it has never been changed before. So the car starts up like a champ it goes into every gear but when you step on the gas it barely moves no matter what gear your in, when the car is cold it will move almost like nothing's wrong but as soon as the trans gets warm put it in gear it goes no where and will do it while your driving, what you think?

i believe it only does it from a stop as I never was able to get it to go very fast and did not want to push the car home by myself

Sounds like it needs some new internals. I've never had good luck changing fluid on a high mile trans. Seems.the new fluid does something to the clutches and.they start slipping, just like you describe. If you want to keep and use it, I'd look for another trans to swap in or have that one overhauled.

I think at 240k & $300, you should be grateful it made this far.

Scrap the POS & spend a lil more for something decent.

I have been looking for a trans for it but no luck, oh well Mabey il just try and sell it an buy a couple taco's I guess :)

Goto car-part.com you will find trans easily. It's a search engine that list about 75% of salvage yards inventory in the US and Canada. If it helps vtec and non vtech trans will interchange. The only difference being gear ratios. So dx lx and ex... Si and hx are oddballs

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Make sure you use the correct "Honda" ATF .. It's not cheap. Very wise to bypass the trans oil cooler with an aftermarket one. The flushes generally don't clean them out enough and will send more debris into new trans in the near future. The cooler may be 30 dollars or so at local discount, napa autoZone type of store.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If you can drain some of the fluid out, can replace a quart or two of it with gear lube. Worked in a '91 Subaru auto for quite a long time.

RemoveBeforeFlight