Help with a tapping/ticking sound under acceleration

ksmmspt

I've noticed lately that under acceleration, I can hear a ticking/tapping sound. I know it's not a noisy speedo cable because the noise disappears when I let off the throttle. It doesn't make this noise at idle or when driving at constant speeds....I only notice it with acceleration (soft or hard). Any ideas?

ksmmspt said:
I've noticed lately that under acceleration, I can hear a ticking/tapping sound. I know it's not a noisy speedo cable because the noise disappears when I let off the throttle. It doesn't make this noise at idle or when driving at constant speeds....I only notice it with acceleration (soft or hard). Any ideas?

Exhaust leak. Original headers?

Yes, it's the original headers and crossover pipe. What's the best ways to check for leaks?

SFITURBO: I just changed the valve springs 2 weeks ago, but I noticed the problem before they were changed. Would there be problems after changing springs? The noise might be worse now after the change.

Thanks for the replies!!

Aside from the normal leak between 3 and 5, mine also had a leak at the flange at cylinder #5. I used a poor man's stethescope to find it - a new fuel hose shoved in my ear. :biggrin: That leak was like your's - in it's early development, I only heard it when I staged the car.