help - vibration in my winter beater

channer

Hi all...

My winter beater is a 1990 Toyota 4Runner.... and I've noticed a vibration that seems to get worse and worse!!

Last night, I changed tires, greased all the u-joints & checked the rear axle noticed that the axle oil is a milky chocolate... which it shouldn't be.

Changing the tire didn't do anything... I haven't changed axle oil yet, but could that be part or all of the vibration problem.

TIA.... dave

Did you check your U joints by trying to wiggle them sideways and twisting them. Park your truck on level ground and block the wheels so it won't roll and put it in neutral and see if you have play in the U joints or in the splined slip joints in the drive shafts. Don't forget the U joints in back of each front wheel. Usually when I rotate my tires I put the truck up on jackstands and I can turn the tire and look for play in the universals. Also look to see if the pinion gear has any play in it ( see if it moves in and out of the rear differential ) you could have a rear pinion bearing going. Just happened to me in Oct. of last year. Had to get the gears replaced in the rear diff. Hope you don't have that problem.
Good Luck.
Tarey D.

Take a good look at the hanger bearing connecting the driveshaft,their about 350$ to replace.

GN ERGY... I looked at the u-joints & they seem pretty tight when I was greasing them up the other night. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow morning & see if what happens. How much did it cost to replace the rear pinion gear??

I just bought another 87T last weekend to replace my 86 TTYPE... so money is tight now!!!

sloride... the 90 4runner is a straight drive shaft... the 86 that I had, did have a drive shaft hanger. If I am mistaken, let me know!!!

thanks again... dave

I know all xtra cabs had em and I think all 4 runners have hanger bearings,could be wrong though.All youve got to do is look though:D Your looking at $450 (plus core) for a 3rd member from a junkyard.If you go that route make sure you replace ALL seals and bearings or youll be sorry you didnt while you had it apart. Very easy job,not even a 1/2 days work. HTH