Help ! Smoke under the hood.

V8killR4U

Well I just dropped my new motor in and was wondering if it is normal for smoke to come out of the oil breathers under acceleration. I have my hood off my car at the time while im working the bugs out. But under acceleration I notice a significant amount of white smoke, which smell kinda like oil which appears to be coming from the breather both passenger and driver side. Is this normal? I have a brand new turbo as well and it appears smokes comes off that too under boost :confused: Is this normal? This is a modded motor.

Perfectly normal in every engine I have every built for at least the first 50-100 miles. The rings aren't seated yet, give them time and vary the engine speeds for the first 100 miles. Drew

Originally posted by 65vette396
Perfectly normal in every engine I have every built for at least the first 50-100 miles. The rings aren't seated yet, give them time and vary the engine speeds for the first 100 miles. Drew

Well the motor was pulled from another GN. So its been raced or/broken in. Would this still be normal? I mean smoke from the breathers like that and turbo?

Originally posted by V8killR4U
Well the motor was pulled from another GN. So its been raced or/broken in. Would this still be normal? I mean smoke from the breathers like that and turbo?

Well it could be, it just depends on how much smoke you are talking about. It obviously has aftermarket breathers so it's no venting back into the intake tract anywhwere after it comes on boost. The smoke you are describing coming off the turbo is probably just blow-by from that breather behind the turbo. A little bit of blow-by under boost is perfectly normal. If it looks like a diesel tractor puller, it's probably hurt. If you wanna put your mind at ease run a compression test, or even better a leak down test. Drew

Originally posted by 65vette396
Well it could be, it just depends on how much smoke you are talking about. It obviously has aftermarket breathers so it's no venting back into the intake tract anywhwere after it comes on boost. The smoke you are describing coming off the turbo is probably just blow-by from that breather behind the turbo. A little bit of blow-by under boost is perfectly normal. If it looks like a diesel tractor puller, it's probably hurt. If you wanna put your mind at ease run a compression test, or even better a leak down test. Drew

Any local shop should be able to do a leak down or comp check right ? It definitely didnt smoke like a diesal, but it did smoke. If im getting blow bye then i need to check that pcv valve right? (Replace that)

I agree with 65vette396! Go with the leak down test.

Not to make you worry, but I had some smoke coming from my breathers when I let off the gas. Ran a leak down test. Had one cyl. that was way off.
Turns out I had a loose wrist pin that was digging into my cyl wall.

Just to be safe, I would check it before you do any hard running.

I'm sure that any repair shop can check it for you, or with the right tools you can do it yourself.

Godd luck! John