help please!!!

trnslt2002

My 85 is having problems idling perfect and now when I hit the gas when its in gear it dies. If I rev it out of gear it hesitates first than revs up nicely. The only check engine code is 12. I just rebuilt the engine and put new injectors, fuel pump, and chip in. Does anyone have any idea why my car will not stay running. Thanx.

P.S.

What should the spark plugs be gapped at?

What are your IAC and TPS readings at idle? If your iac isn't reset it will cause this type of situation. Try resetting the IAC first (instructions are either on this board or the GNTTYPE board) then reset your tps and see how it runs.

If for some reason you can't get the iac to read correctly at idle start checking for vacuum leaks around your intake. It sounds like it's sucking in too much air

plugs : Ac delco
AC-CR43TS gapped at .035"

im sure ya did reset the ecm after you added the chip and injectors?

(disconnect orange wire coming off of the battery)

12 is just the computer saying it's ok................so no codes.

I agree with Jamie it sounds like a vac leak.

After averything you have done it could be a thousand things (like you wanted to hear that!) but start simple. Get some carb cleaner and make sure you don't have a leak at the turbo/intake o-ring.

I gap my plugs at .32.

Good luck.

I have to agree with twins plug gap .032 and If you're racing ngkur5 are the best for the hot air in my experience. They don't seem to foul out as quick. Otherwise you're changing plugs and let's just say that's a royal pain in the ass on a hot air. Well, it' is if you have a lee thompson down pipe... No room. Hey good catch didn't see the plug gap question, just know what he's going through with the hesitation and was trying to help.... :cool:

Hey Guy, I used to have the same problem, only worse. It would idle rough and then would just about die when I punched it. It would also hesitate until around 45 mph then start pulling strong. Here is what I did to get everything working again:
New Coolant temp sensors, both of them,
New injectors,
New Fuel regulator,
Reset the TPS voltage,
New Coil and Ignition Module.
Now it seems to run great, no hesitation, it idles great and pulls hard when I punch it. I can't say for sure what the culprit was, all I know is that after a year of working this problem it is solved for the moment and I am a happy camper. Hope this helps.

Check your fuel pressure my adj. fuel regulator was set at 20psi new and my car would die out on me I upped the pressure to 35psi and it runs good. :D