Help On 78 Rebuild What Do I Need ?

v6turbo231

IVE ONLY GOT 6 WEEKS TO REBUILD MY ENGINE. IT HAD A LIGHT TICKING NOISE THAT TURNED INTO A REAL NASTY PISTON SLAP. HAPPENED WHEN I WAS RACING A mustang >:I . SO IM DOING A COMPLETE REBUILD OF THE ENGINE. IVE GOT ALOT OF NEW PARTS ALREADY FROM THE LIFTERS UP. BUT ITS THE HEADS PISTONS CAM OIL PUMP ECT. THAT I HAVENT GOT YET. IS THERE A PLACE WHERE I CAN GET A PACKAGE DEAL ? I DONT KNOW IF I HAVE TO BORE OVER YET COZ I DONT KNOW THE CONDITION OF THE BLOCK YET. TEAR DOWN OF THE ENGINE WILL BE COMPLETED BY FRIDAY SO I CAN SEE WHAT HAPPENED. *I WANT IT TO BE A SLEEPER :)

In 1979, Buick improved the heads a lot (larger prts). Get 1979-87 RWD heads for sure. I'd also get 79 intake and exhaust manifolds.

Rebuilding a 78 is pretty much the same as rebuilding 84/87.

I have bought many things here:

http://www.postonbuick.com/

They have a good record with the Buick V6 and V8 crowds. They carry complete engine rebuilt kits. I have found them to always be great to work with over the phone and honest on shipping times.

IF I GET THE 79 TURBO HEADS... WILL I HAVE TO BORE THE ENGINE TO MATCH ? IF I DO...HOW MUCH ? I DONT THINK I CAN FIND THE 79 INTAKE AS FAR AS THE EXHAUST GOES IM GOING TO GET SUM HEADERS.

I guess we need to know a bit more of your plans. Is this a stock rebuild or are you going to be going for mods? If mods, what are you looking to do?

Headers? What you plan to use?

The 79-87 heads are a direct swap. They are larger PORTS, same bore. There are no such thinsg as "turbo" heads. Any RWD Heads will do.

i got it to the bare block...i found out where my nasty knock was coming from... main bearings were pretty much gone causing the counter weight of the crank to beat the bottom of the piston. with that little shoomed bottom it started to tear away at the port. after doing some cleaning and measuring i found out i have to bore at least .40 over to get things right. but im no machinest so ill be leaving that up to him. i found headers but i dont think ill be getting them anytime soon. i want to go with mods. light mods that dont pinch the pocket too hard. i pretty much need everything inside the block new. the heads i will be getting into next week. everything ive already got but one...a good vacuum diagragm anybody have one ?

Try this page. About1/3 of the way down, you'l find links to diagrams.
http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/tnotes.htm

I'd probably find another 3.8 block before boring 0.040. They are plentiful in the junkyards. Actually I'd be looking for a 4.1 block to go with.

My car had factory 1983/85 headers. I replced them with 1979/80 cast iron manifolds after they cracked. Aftermarket headers are copies of factory headers, just a little more durable and a lot more money.

Did you notice a performance difference after switching from 83/85 to the cast iron 79/80 exhaust? We plan on using 83/85 type, on a 4.1 after the welding the cracks. Or should we look for cast iron type.

I didn't notice a performance difference, but I think my stock DP is the limiting factor for my exhaust.

Pros:
Won't crack
Cheap
Retain heat better

Cons:
Heavy
No O2 sensor bung. ('80 has a boss to drill/tap, otherwise weld bung to up-pipe.)

This might help:
http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/exhaust.htm

The cast iron manifolds are much better than most of us give them credit for, me included.

I have a set in storage, so it was time to check them out. The castings are nearly a factory cast header. Rich's photos can't let you look inside. The driver's side cast header has individual runners leading to a collector with smooth casting inside. The passenger side is much the same. All port runners direct the exhaust flow in a directional manner.

I was going to swap the LeSabre from cast to tubular, but now it will take some more thought...........

rebuild

sounds like you spun a rod bearing not a main. summit has a kit but uses hyperutetic pistons. paw has complete kits with crank and rods. just depend on how much you want to spend.
suggest lots o porting .
andy

I AM GOING TO BORE IT ALL. I NEED TO GET TWO NEW RODS AS WELL. BUT WHATS WRONG WITH "hyperutetic pistons" ? I KNOW I CAN GET A SUMMIT MAG. BUT WHO AND WHERE IS "PAW" DO THEY HAVE A CATOLOG OR WEBSITE ?

paw

paw(performance automotive warehouse) has a web site.
ad can be found in some of the hot rod/car craft magazines
i had good luck with hyperutectic pistons . but i was warned about pushing to much hp out of them and with my new alum heads i would blow them apart(500 plus).
ATR has headers for hot air . might need slight adjustment but shoud fit no problems and i have heard some had decent response with them .
good luck
:)
andy

IVE GOT THE BLOCK IN THE SHOP. THURSDAY I BUY ALL THE GUTS FOR IT. PAW HAS ALOT OF GOOD STUFF BUT PRICEY FOR LESS STUFF ID GET WITH GOING WITH PST. BUT THANKS FOR THE HELP. I WILL BE BACK TO LET YOU KNOW MORE ON THURSDAY.

HELP FINDING PARTS

GOOD NEWS. I DONT NEED A LINE BORE AND JUST HAVE TO BORE .030. JUST SO I HAVE AN UPPER EDGE IM HAVING THEM (WATERHOUSE OF TACOMA,WA) PUT IN THE PLUGS AND CAM BEARINGS. EVERYTHING ELSE IS ALL MINE. I FOUND A SITE, P-S-T, THIS IS WHERE I WILL BE GETTING MY KIT FROM. EVERYTHING BUT THE TIMING COVER,CRANK,AND CONNECTING RODS. I HAVE TO FIND THESE "SPECIAL PARTS" ELSEWHERE.