Help! Oil presure too high! - Trying to start brand new motor

robk46

Hi all, I'm really nervous here. Here's what I've got. Fresh rebuild, turned the crank, and resized the rods. Have Wiseco .020 pistons and new lifters on a 1000 mile 204/214 cam. Everything is attached and ready to start. Stock turbo, MAF, etc. Got straight 30 weight oil in it with some GM EOS and some molly and assembly lube in there. The Oil cooler attachment is removed. When I start the car, the oil filter (PL10111) will start to turn and spew oil if I try to bring it up to break in speed. I have started the car 4 times for less than 30 seconds each.

I have modded the front cover to Earl Browns specs (1/2 inch holes for the oil feed) I have a metal plate on the oil pump, which is stock. What can I do to troubleshoot this? I don't want to break my new motor! Could the machine shop have left something in the block that would cause this? I have the weakest spring in the oil pump for the bypass. It's a lot weaker than the factory spring.

Help!:frown:

i wouldnt be using straight 30w on break in .i would use 10w30 with an additive for break in and then run a thicker oil later. I bet if you run a lighter oil and problem will go away good luck. Good Luck

Changed the bypass valve that the springs goes into to one with bigger holes. Tightened the heck out of the filter and started it up. Just broke it in for 25 minutes and the oil pressure is about 25 PSI in gear. I'll be driving it around in a little bit and then change the oil to 10w30 or 15w40. Wish me luck!

i wouldnt be using straight 30w on break in .i would use 10w30 with an additive for break in and then run a thicker oil later. I bet if you run a lighter oil and problem will go away good luck. Good Luck

30w is NOT thicker than 10w-30. Same weight.

Straight 30w is 30w in all temps, 10w-30 has polymers that allow it to flow like a 10w in cold temps, but it's still a 30w oil.

Cat, you got it backwards. The polymer expands and binds the oil together and acts like a thickening agent. 10-30W starts with a 10 wieght and then the additive are added. The only way to thin an oil is to add thinner oil.

I had is bass-akwards.:redface: Oh well, my point was 30w oil is 30w no matter what. A 0,5,10 in front of it only signifys what it flows like in cold temps.

Hi all, I'm really nervous here. Here's what I've got. Fresh rebuild, turned the crank, and resized the rods. Have Wiseco .020 pistons and new lifters on a 1000 mile 204/214 cam. Everything is attached and ready to start. Stock turbo, MAF, etc. Got straight 30 weight oil in it with some GM EOS and some molly and assembly lube in there. The Oil cooler attachment is removed. When I start the car, the oil filter (PL10111) will start to turn and spew oil if I try to bring it up to break in speed. I have started the car 4 times for less than 30 seconds each.

I have modded the front cover to Earl Browns specs (1/2 inch holes for the oil feed) I have a metal plate on the oil pump, which is stock. What can I do to troubleshoot this? I don't want to break my new motor! Could the machine shop have left something in the block that would cause this? I have the weakest spring in the oil pump for the bypass. It's a lot weaker than the factory spring.

Help!:frown:

Oil pressure readings?

It's running fine now. It still pegs the needle past 80 PSI on my gauge when you first start it up, but settles down to 30 PSI in gear when hot. I'm taking the break in oil out tomorrow and putting some 15w40 Delo in. Unless anyone thinks thats a bad oil to use. . .

Yes, I am very happy with the way this motor is running. I just couldn't believe the oil pressure was so high when I fired it up for the first time. It spun the oil filter off. I had to really torque that sucker on there. I also changed the bypass spring to the weakest one I had. The Earl Brown front cover mods really work! That and good bearing clearances. . .

Yes, I am very happy with the way this motor is running. I just couldn't believe the oil pressure was so high when I fired it up for the first time. It spun the oil filter off. I had to really torque that sucker on there. I also changed the bypass spring to the weakest one I had. The Earl Brown front cover mods really work! That and good bearing clearances. . .

You got it! Tight engine & the Earl Brown mods & with GM covers I have great pressure! You will see that it will go from 30 at cruise to 60 with 1K more RPM Instantly!! Gotta love it!

I opened up my oil passages and did the earl brown thing.I have loose clearances and I still get 25 hot idle (sometimes 20 in gear) and it climbs fast when I hit the gas. I also run 0w-20 oil.