help needed plz

Turbo Grizzly

NEED TURBO! / TRANS!
hey i have a 82 t-type. its light redwood with blacked out lights and grill. looks sharp. minor clear coat damage on hood. and the headliner is half down (held up with those lil tacks from autozone) i got the 4.1 jasper engine (20k miles) and a turbo 350 tranny (80k miles) with a shift kit and rebuilt to form the v6. saddly no turbo..(didnt have 1 when i got it) also i just put on a new 4 barrel edlbrock 600 carb. the motor is decorated in edlbrock from filter to intake. my ? is......what turbo should i put on it that would perform the best with my set up? also if i were to sell the car what do u think its worth? i went on n a d a guids and it only alows me 2 chose riviera. but the moderate pricing for an all stock 82 riviera is $4,655. now my regal t-type has 20k on the motor 80k on the tranny and a brand new carb. so what are your thoughts? thanks for the imput

Attachments

• my car.jpg
    my car.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 181
well it depends on how you want to do the turbo.

do you want to use the original carb turbo system? that would be cheap and easy, least powerful. (not for long)

or a 84/85 HA swap? more complicated and more expensive. more powerful

or 86/87 intercooled swap, most complicated, most expensive, but most powerful.

then there is Blow thru carb, very comparable to 86/87 power if done correctly. this falls into the medium price range depending on options and design.

I would say with a carb, you could probably get a solid 2500 in my area, maybe more in others, that price will also depend on if you turbo it or not. as for example you could probably get 5000 if you went with a 86/87 turbo swap.

hope that helps.

A.j.

about how much would the price range be for the orig carb turbo? also what do you mean not for long?

about how much would the price range be for the orig carb turbo? also what do you mean not for long?

I would say if you did a real nice quality swap thats well detailed using the carb turbo system it could add 1000 to 1500 to the cars value.

I complete setup could be had for a few hundred bucks, and it doesent require tooo much work or skill.

what i mean by "not for long" is that a few of us, have been chasing a better draw thru system to make more power. right now, I think we have only managed to creep on the Hot Air car level of performance. But the future may hold more power as more devlopments arive.

:D A.j.

well a couple hundred huh...not to bad, then again i have no clue who to buy from. ne input on a specific brand and or model? and jus a personal ? ....how do u think my set up sounds? what about the cars overall look?

also if neone else happens to view this thread and would like to make a reasonable offer on my car plz do. im always interested and open to offers.

YEA I doubt this thread goes unnoticed. I'd love to make you a wonderful offer on your car, but I can't follow thru with payment so never mind that. Finding a factory drawthru turbo setup should be as easy as finding someone who has a few systems horded up (was me once upon a time) that wouldn't mind relinquishing one of them to help keep another buick soldiering on.
I think your current setup is great. I used to run boosted 4.1 in my car earlier with a drawthru turbo it was great. And it was so awesome because it had 2.41 rear axle ratio.
I swear Ive seen this same car on youtube before in a nice little video showing off the old Iron It was great!.

It is that CAR! the front license plate is different. I even commented on it . lol Man the world is getting smaller

You need to do some reading in the forum.:biggrin:

What i mean by "not for long" is that a few of us, have been chasing a better draw thru system to make more power. Right now, I think we have only managed to creep on the Hot Air car level of performance. But the future may hold more power as more developments arive.

:D A.j.

Aj, Adam, and I have a race to the 10's right now. I've got a few ideas on how to do it and the link on the turbo is just one of them. Aj has some of the info I haven't posted yet but it's being held in confidance right now. There's more to come but I have to get used to what I've gotten stuck in right now. I've got a different header design that I've been working on and so far the math is there but the money isn't.:mad: I'll be starting a thread on the design as soon as I have enough info and time on the design. The draw through isn't bad but with a little time one of us should be able to kick the HA cars as well as the IC cars in the butt. There's some different ideas all of us are working on but it's just a matter of time.

Welcome aboard.:biggrin:

I did'nt know that '82's came with the t-type package.:confused:
And that color? Is it original ? (I love that color combination with the black out lights, grille and wheels). Looks smokin! But it also looks like you need the fillers.

Without any upgrades good shape inside and out, (meaning headliner and fillers up to par), you should be able to get 2500 easy around my neck of the woods. G-bodies in good condition are highly valued around here.

One guy wanted to unload an 86 Olds in great condition with a V-8 for $5000 on me, (no low miles but great running). I smiled and showed him a pic of my car. Mind you these are non turbo-ed. :biggrin:

That option is up to you, (adding a turbo). To me it's just cool and adds to the myth of the fast GN.

Nice ride bro...keep it cruising!

haha yea my youtube is MasterGrizzly. man that vid is kinda old. if im correct... that was b4 i made the turbo 6 emblem for my back window

I did'nt know that '82's came with the t-type package.:confused:
And that color? Is it original ? (I love that color combination with the black out lights, grille and wheels). Looks smokin! But it also looks like you need the fillers.

yea its a stock color. light redwood. i blacked out the lights and grill myself. looks cooler. hmm the car was a factory vinyl. light brown. but im not a huge fan of that. not many ppl kno about the 82 t-type....only 200 made! at the end of the prodution year. which is very unusual for any manufacture. but yeap. i loves it!

dang the only thing that stinks doc is im short on funds. :( i was hoping to turbo it in near future but as of now....i cant

oh god. i just view my old vid....thats way back. with the t-type plate...i still got it somewhere. and b4 i figured out acid based cleaners makes my magnesium vector rims looks brand new (and white). i love egle one mag wheel cleaner. great stuff. wow b4 i got the k&n filters, b4 i washed and steam cleaned the whole engine bay. hahaha if ne1 else wants to see the vid of my car in ok condition here you go. YouTube - 1982 buick t-type.

charlie! u tried helping me with my other problem...the cruse control. ok get this everything is hooked up except for 1 vacuum hose. i have to split the line runin to the rear of my carb and then join the two. hopefully it will work. sry i never got around to adding pics. didn't have a pc for a lil bit there.

so how much are we talking for that? how bout if it was 100%??? and is there nething else i would need?

well I dont quite have all of the pieces, all of my systems have no timing control... I always used MSD so the factory ECU and other junk never got added to my parts pile. and I omit all of the other nonsense that really didnt apply to my hybrid use such as emissions crap, the Q-jet, little valves and vacum lines.... etc etc...

I run a bare bones holley based system, so if you just want boost, its no biggy but for a resto.... it might be a pain.

price depends on the system, complete pile of parts, complete running or complete restored system? prices from 200 to 500.

all up to you....and the budget. or we can go piece by piece if you like.

:biggrin:A.j.