Help: Need motor assy for Moonroof

1BADGN

I have an 1987 GN with the factory moonroof installed in the car. I replaced the moon roof seals about a year ago and now the motor or actually the jack screw in the motor assy has stripped out.

If anyone knows where I could find a replacement, please let me know.

Thanks!

Check with G body parts guys in the Parts for Sale section.

Brian Weaver or Mike McCoy.

GM had the new actuator assemblies a couple of years ago still.

They were about $160 I think.

Salvage - Thanks!!

I just wanted to say thanks for the help!!

Also, another question!!

Does anyone know how many 86's and 87 GNs were made with the moonroof?

My guess has always been 1 in 11 or so.

Mines got one so does the WE4. Use it often. :)

re moonroof

Salvage

Have you had many problems with your moonroof? If so, what?

Last year I installed the new weather seal and that was a pain in the butt! I was very careful about taking the moonroof in and out of the car so I would not bend the guide tracks. When I put it all back together the moonroof worked well, however, it may have been a little tight but the motor was working it ok. Then a few weeks later I opened it and it started making a loud ratcheting noise from the overhead so I figured maybe I forgot to tighten one of the bolts and something came out of alignment. Now that I took the actuator/motor assy apart, I see that the main jack screw gear is partially stripped on the one side.

I just wonder if when I re-installed the moonroof that it is binding a bit and that's what caused the gears to strip OR the gears were already getting worn and because the moon roof is maybe a tighter fit it just wore the already worn gears out that much quicker. If my moonroof is tight sliding in the guide tracks, do you know of way to adjust it? I was thinking once I get the new motor assy that I would loosen the bolts and work the roof open/close several times to see if I can get it settle in before tightening it all down again.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Yup binding ain't good.

Lost an actuator in the WE4 due to the window getting jammed in there sideways a bit after one of the accidents. Don't remember exactly which accident. ;)

Once the window was unjammed and operated okay manually the new replacement actuator has been good for 5 years or so now. :)

Easy to strip the gear on that thing if binding occurs. Once you hear any noises lubricate and crank it manually until you find the cause. Can't fix the darn actuator either I looked into that.

Just my .02.