Help - my paint is deteriorating right before my eyes

wv-t

Recently I started noticing little sandy bumps in the paint on my car. The paint is original meatalflake gray. Everytime I feel the car there are more of these rough places. Then more. Now I can see and feel them everywhere. I park the car in the garage when I'm not driving, and have clayed it once and wax every now and then. What is happening to my paint job???

Do they look like bubbles? Is the paint original?
Either way, it sounds like the paint is giving up:mad:

that's what the awesome paint that GM was using in the late 80's does.. the whole top of my car from the pinstripe on the side up is either primer or flaky paint... of course, my car sat out in the sun on a used car parking lot with a blown head gasket for 13 years...

Not bubbles. Feels like it is turning into sand paper. Little flecks of grit starting to multiply. All I know to do is clay again then wax again, right?

Look VERY close at the places the flecks are coming from. Rust pits?
Clay/wax over the holes is not going to cure it. A waste of time until the issue is resolved. [Most likely, w/ a strip and paint.]
Once the surface is damaged, moisture can/will work it's way under the paint, causing it to lift.

I'm not a painter.........
(but i did stay at a "Holiday Inn Express once)
sorry , but nothing will "save" your paint.
and prior to repaint, you will need to prep the metal, in addition to stripping it.
GM was very lax in paint prep in the "old days" and used very crummy paint to boot!

Look VERY close at the places the flecks are coming from. Rust pits?
Clay/wax over the holes is not going to cure it. A waste of time until the issue is resolved. [Most likely, w/ a strip and paint.]
Once the surface is damaged, moisture can/will work it's way under the paint, causing it to lift.
AGREED!
If the paint is checked, it means the finish must come off....down to the metal

Recently I started noticing little sandy bumps in the paint on my car. The paint is original meatalflake gray. Everytime I feel the car there are more of these rough places. Then more. Now I can see and feel them everywhere. I park the car in the garage when I'm not driving, and have clayed it once and wax every now and then. What is happening to my paint job???

Original paint, that would be lacquer, right? I know on my '98 Dakota, UV has killed my clearcoat and it's behaving exactly like your paint. As stated, only a properly prepped repaint will cure it...

Update - I did wash and wax the car Wednesday, and the rough texture went away. By Thursday evening it was back. Looks fine to the eye, but if I run my hand over it it feels like the car has been sprinkled with salt.

Update - I did wash and wax the car Wednesday, and the rough texture went away. By Thursday evening it was back. Looks fine to the eye, but if I run my hand over it it feels like the car has been sprinkled with salt.
And, your point is?:confused:

Do you live near pine trees? Could be sap.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

happened to me too. I hit it with the clay bar, detailed and waxed it and the paint died on me. It had a white haze and felt like fine grade sand paper. I caved and got it repainted and I only use spray wax now.

Pics might help your cause immensely...