help me with new name for used car lot please

national

I have a used car lot that ive had for 8 years with the same name as when I got there..time for a change..everyone still thinks the old guys owned it that had it before me even that long ago...anyways I have a few names picked out & would greatly appreciate any comments on the or which one you like best or if anyone has a better idea of a name for the lot......Im not a big car lot..about 15-30 cars usually...ok heres the name choices..not in any certain order or anything...Automax Sales...Auto Depot...Car Depot...Cars Plus...Car Shop....Auto Plus...Auto Zoom...Auto Shop...Jextreme Auto Sales...maybe someone has a carlot in there area with a catchy name that sounds good..just let me know what you think..My wife likes the Auto Zoom name but sounds a lil like a performance shop more so than a car lot but thats why Im asking yall..I need a good unbiased opinion from a used car consumer.
Thanks, Brian

JMHO, but none sound especially memorable.

There is an advantage to having a name start with "A" .. you are first in the Yellow page listings ... you'd be surprised how much customer traffic gets generated.

Used car lots get an undeserved bad rap from the average consumer ... In an era of disposable hype, a name that suggests a long time, stable, family run business may be worth considering.

Be careful of using a name that is too similar to national chains (like "Auto Nation") ... if one were to get sued, it would be very costly to change signage, business cards, etc.

But then again, I have no actual small business experience, take it with a grain of salt ...

personally i would keep the name you have for one BIG reasion, think about how many customers who remember the last owner. there coming back because they were satified with cars that they have baught from your car lot YEARS ago. if you change your name they might go to another dealer/car lot and bypass you all togeather. its a customer loyalty sort of deal.

Originally posted by equalizer442
personally i would keep the name you have for one BIG reasion, think about how many customers who remember the last owner. there coming back because they were satified with cars that they have baught from your car lot YEARS ago. if you change your name they might go to another dealer/car lot and bypass you all togeather. its a customer loyalty sort of deal.
Truthfully thats why Im wanting to change the name..the others guys didnt have that good of a rep..I thought so at first but then as time goes on Ive been meaning to change it for a while but just never have you know..whenI moved in it was just cheap startup to keep the same name..other day I had a girl buy a truck from me that her friend didnt wanna help her check it out cause he got screwed from one of the other guys long time ago..eventually I convienced her I was owner now not them but almost cost me a sale there..you know how it is..good buisness is hardly ever mentioned but 1 lil bad thing & eveyone in town knows it..well Ive heard alot over the years plus the name is H&R Motors now & thats other guys initials..so everyone still thinks he owns it..keep any ideas coming..
Thanks, Brian

What does your lot specialize in? Cars and customers.

Try to come up with a name that will be meaningfull to your target customer.

Do you sell newer cars? Older cars? Cars under $10 k only? Buy here pay here? Give us some more info...

:)

Thanks,

Joel

You must be knocking people's heads off to only sell 3 a month and stay afloat.. No flame, I just know the business..

Best of luck...

Originally posted by 1ARUNEM
You must be knocking people's heads off to only sell 3 a month and stay afloat.. No flame, I just know the business..

Best of luck...

That's what I was thinking unless you own the place outright, are a one man show and floor plan your own cars. :)

Best of luck...
Well you cant knock heads off & stay in buisness long & you make your money buying cheap not selling high....All my cars are priced resonable to cheap..lots cheaper than any big car dealer..I am a one man show..had employes but didnt work out..
I meant I only retail about 3 a month..sometimes more...
The key word is wholesale man..if you know the buisness you know that word..I wholesale alot..I have 2 guys that buy through me also & all in all I wholesale alot...buy fees add up plus I wholesale some myself..enough to pay the bills..low overhead also helps..
Now please stick to the question..I need a new name...thanks to anyone who is trying to help
Guess ill delete the above..shouldnt have mentioned my personal stuff..people always assume & you know what assuming does

Best of luck...
Not to be an azz or anything but I have alot of people that come in every day & know the buisness better than me but they dont or never have owned a carlot....:rolleyes:

How 'bout the name Economy Auto Shop or maybe Economy Car Sales?:) Reason I suggest adding the word "Economy" to the name Auto Shop or Car Sales is because you said your cars are priced reasonable to cheap..... Just a suggestion, but if I had to pick from the names you gave I would say Auto Shop is the best....

HTH:cool:

Name??

Yes assumptions can cause problems,some people should go by the old proverb. "Nothing good to say then shut the #%$@ up." Heres a couple to choose from>A-1 Car Sales,Reliable Rides,Wonderful Wheels,Awesome Auto Mart,Wholesale Used cars,Easy Pay Motors,Family Auto Sales,Trusty Transport Auto Sales. I must say Reliable Rides is very catchy an sounds pretty good. You can pay me later!!!

What auctions do you go to? I sell in Indy for Chrysler. 1ARUNEM is ok; he doesn't need me defense but he is involved in the wholesale business as a vendor. I have no retail experience myself because I am not a good "salesperson", I just know wholesale pretty good.

What do you sell, buy-here pay-here? high line? late-model? It'd be nice to know before speculating a guess. I have a few ideas.

When I had my lot in Clearwater Fl., I named it Clearwater Car Company. Something with a C, related to a street or section your in, then, car company would be good but you could be the only

NASHVILLE CAR COMPANY. ;)

!!!!!!!!!!!

Just make sure the "fone #" is BR-549!! Better yet, make that the name of the lot!!

Most folks will identify w/ that phrase.....:D :D :cool:

National:

A couple of thoughts for you. If you are looking to change the perception of the past customers and general public about the type of business that was operated in the past, a name change might not be good enough.

You might want to consider a remodleing or go with a new exterior "scheme" to your operation to go with your name change. That way as people drive by they won't see that same place with a "new" name. My guess is that they will be more in a position to give you a fair shake if they see that the bus and the name have both "changed".

Honestly depending on how crazy you want to get, there are probably some great marketing firms in Nashville that can help you pick a name taking all the psychology of perception etc into consideration.

If not, maybe pick a name that would show concern for the way the place was run in the past...ie

"Courtesy Car Company of Nashville"

assuming people felt they were treated wrong etc.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Like I said, no flame intended. Don't get so defensive. I know the used car business very well from the sales, to floorplan to inspections business..

You did not mention you mainly wholesale. That being said, my statement was with the knowledge that you cannot survive selling 3 cars a month. Some guys do it, but they have sideline jobs as well.

I did not mean to offend you. Maybe you should call your lot something like 'Wholesale Auto Sales" as mentioned. Since you say yourself you sell very cheap and do a good deal of wholesaling. Sounds like maybe you are a retail agent for some wholesalers as well.

The used car business has been VERY slow for the last two years. It affects what I do as well. Hopefully things will pick up soon. Unfortunately, their are ALOT of less than "stand up" used car dealers how sour the bunch.

Unfortunately, their are ALOT of less than "stand up" used car dealers how sour the bunch.

Used car dealers have to at least keep up to the ethics of their customers. :p