Help me spend my money, please.

SwingOp3

Hi All.

Looking to put some go-fast parts on the car this year and would like a little advice on the best bang-for-the-buck parts.
Unfortunately I do have budget of about $2500.
In addition to the parts in my sig I have an HRparts'n'stuff rear swaybar, Bilstein shocks and 100 lbs valve springs(I have yet to put these parts on).

Keeping in mind that this is a street car only here are some parts I'm considering:

Turbo - something streetable with quick spoolup.
Intercooler - do I really need a one since I'm running alky? If I do get one it will be a SLIC
Downpipe - I doubt this will be very helpful at my power levels.
Powerlogger - more info is always good.
LS1 maf/translator - more flow is more better, right?
Trans cooler/shift kit - cheap insurance
Injectors - The powerlogger should tell me if I need them or not
Camshaft - don't really want to go there. I'd like to keep it "stock"

Any input regarding a combination of the above parts (or others I've overlooked) to the tune of $2500ish wouldbe very much appreciated.

Thank You

TIMING CHAIN first that old plastic cracked cam gear lets go and youll be sorry low mile or not!!!
If you have replaced..hope you have..then disregard.

You mention money and parts but what is your goal ET, etc. Need to have something to shoot for.

With what you have you should already be traction challenged?

But with good tires and a 1.7 60' the car should be 12's all day with your current setup.

Whats your chips boost psi burned for?

Get some injectors and sticky tires and have fun with the car IMO.

Whatever you do choose to buy since you have a budget of $2500 I would say look for some slightly used parts. You can find a lot of good used parts on this board.

turbo
intercooler
downpipe
maf
scan tool (even though I don't have one)
injectors

Whatever you do choose to buy since you have a budget of $2500 I would say look for some slightly used parts. You can find a lot of good used parts on this board.

turbo
intercooler
downpipe
maf
scan tool (even though I don't have one)
injectors

completely agree!

Your answer to this....

Should also be your answer to this....

Especially since you have a better flowing exhaust, because your free flowing exhaust at the end is useless if it's bottlenecked at the start. You may not need an entirely new downpipe but atleast a ported elbow would help especially if your gonna get a bigger turbo. just my .02

Used dut neck intercooler.
Used, cleaned and flowed 50lb injectors
Alky Control
TT alky chip
New TA49
3 inch downpipe
Powerlogger
M/T drag radials
tranny cooler
You've got the right beginings already so you're on your way.

Used dut neck intercooler.
Used, cleaned and flowed 50lb injectors
Alky Control
TT alky chip
New TA49
3 inch downpipe
Powerlogger
M/T drag radials
tranny cooler
You've got the right beginings already so you're on your way.

I agree with most of this but I'd look for a ta 60 or te 44 both will work fine with the stock TC and I'd also look for some used 60# injectors, and a used SLIC.

I agree with most of this but I'd look for a ta 60 or te 44 both will work fine with the stock TC and I'd also look for some used 60# injectors, and a used SLIC.

The OP didn't give his goals so I was figuring what he do cheapest and then upgrade latter. As long as he starts with at least 50s he can latter go to a TT 6.0 chip. All those turbos will work fine. I think the 49 is best for a stock stall but you can get by with the others.

TE44 got me to 11's easily but the stock transmission wouldn't have! Make the stock stuff max out first and have fun with sticky tires and at least an improved stock transmission. My stock turbo with alky and MT ET Streets burnt my transmission out even with shift improver and regular fluid changes. 60k miles ain't bad I guess for the abuse I put it through. When I put the TE44 on though, it started to go south quickly. When the downpipe went on, it lasted 3 street passes without the sticky tires. I bet my band was smoking in the case during those looooong full-throttle 1-2 upshifts at the track. Basically, what's the point of making lots of power if you can't get it down? And unfortunately, a great transmission can burn a lot of that $2500 budget, but a great one should last a long time into the future. As I always say, you can go as fast as you'd like to spend.

Thanks for the responses people.

As far as "goals", I honestly don't have one. Because I've never had the car at the track and don't plan on going, I don't know how fast/slow the car is now let alone what mph I'll get out of part xxxx.

The timing chain idea sounds like a good one. That's one I overlooked. I do now remember reading about it. On the list.

I like the LS1 maf/translator combo. On the list.

Question 1. Since I'm on alky at 22/23 lbs, is the SLIC considered a good buy? I've read about the alky cooling the intake charge to the point where a SLIC doesn't make a big difference.

Question 2. I've seen injectors mentioned a few times. Again because of the alky, are new injectors necessary? That question is partially my reasoning for mentioning the Powerlogger. A better understanding of what's happening is always good.

Throw in a turbo and downpipe ( I love new stuff, though!) and can you say "Ballooning Budget"? Better talk to the wife:biggrin:

Get the 60lb injectors, what size do you have currently? And yes, its very easy to over shoot your budget.

I still have the stock injectors, which as I type this realize, ya I need injectors. On the list.

There are certain things that you're going to have to buy. A lot of the parts that people are suggesting to you are those parts, it does't matter if you plan on going to the track or not (I don't go to the track). The reason why I said earlier that you should buy used parts wasn't me taking a shot at your finances but me knowing that its very easy to shoot over your budget of $2500. You're going to need a turbo, down pipe, injectors, intercooler, shift kit (maybe other hard parts), maf translator, walbro fuel system. There's know way of getting around these things, and I don't think having alky compensates for a intercooler or injectors just because the alky allows you to run more boost it doesn't up the volume of fuel that your car is receiving.

P.S. I was told to keep every working part on these cars as cool as possible.

Looking over your mods once again you're exactly where I was with my first set of mods minus the turbo, intercooler, downpipe, and trans. I think if you get those things you'll be happy with your car especially since you're going to be running alky. (That is until you get a pay raise);)

There's know way of getting around these things, and I don't think having alky compensates for a intercooler or injectors just because the alky allows you to run more boost it doesn't up the volume of fuel that your car is receiving.

Alky is a fuel. This is how it allows higher boost and side affects are cooling.

Scantool is the very first mod on one of these cars. Period. Running a Buick blind = blown motor/head gaskets sooner than latter. Much sooner. No matter what octane fuel is in the tank.

Hi All.

Looking to put some go-fast parts on the car this year and would like a little advice on the best bang-for-the-buck parts.
Unfortunately I do have budget of about $2500.
In addition to the parts in my sig I have an HRparts'n'stuff rear swaybar, Bilstein shocks and 100 lbs valve springs(I have yet to put these parts on).

Keeping in mind that this is a street car only here are some parts I'm considering:

Turbo - something streetable with quick spoolup.
Intercooler - do I really need a one since I'm running alky? If I do get one it will be a SLIC
Powerlogger - more info is always good.
Trans cooler/shift kit - cheap insurance
Injectors - The powerlogger should tell me if I need them or not
Camshaft - don't really want to go there. I'd like to keep it "stock"

Any input regarding a combination of the above parts (or others I've overlooked) to the tune of $2500ish wouldbe very much appreciated.

Thank You

Downpipe, exhuast, injectors/matching chip(get 60's), timing chain, LT1 MAF and translator, and most definite a transmission cooler(nice one). RJC power plate wont hurt, some breathers for the VC's. Work on getting air into the motor and out the exhuast. This helps spoolup and not create bak pressure issues.

Leave the IC alone. Leave the turbo alone. Leave the cam alone. Unless they are having problems. Stay on top of maintenance items(fluids).

And tires :D

Send it to me and I'll do my best. I take paypal or money orders.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :biggrin:

If you are not concerned about track times then listen to Razor and leave your turbo and cam alone. For a fun street car you don't really need these upgraded. If you are not going to race it then this stuff will be a waste on the seat of the pants meter. The stocker will spool quick enough and with the alky you'll make enough power that traction should be you main problem and it won't even require a converter change either. If you are convinced that your stock intercooler needs to go then no more than a modified neck intercooler. No need for an extended slic with the alky.
Now send me the $1600 that I saved you from spending on the new turbo and intercooler and that should about take care of your extra cash problem. ;)