Help Me Identify these control arms!

asd60303

I've had these sitting around in the garage since parting out a GN a few years ago. From what I remember, the lower control arms were southside machine's but I can't remember what type these ones were.

Any advice is appreciated.
Anyways, if anyone is interested in these, pm me an offer.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Well they must like ruining their frames. To each your own I guess.

Well if you are in the know you can take precautions...Like welding a washer to the mounting points.

My point is dude asked what kind of bars he had because he couldn't remember and you told him to scrap something that someone out there will pay money for...I know if I was asking about my bars and someone told me to scrap them I wouldn't take that as friendly advise.

what is the problem with ssm bars? this is a first for me hearing they mess up the frame

i seen the problem he had and my guess is that not greasing the bushing and letting them rust and lock up had a lot to do with that happening. seems loke a lot of people tend to forget to do that. his problem was with the lowers, what is the problem with the uppers that they say junkem?

The only problem I know of with SSM bars is they don't have a rubber or poly bushing, they are pretty much solid...Supposedly they can elongate the holes in the frame because of not having any give.

I wouldn't worry about it much, but if I was going to use them I would consider welding washers to control arm mounts to strengthen the area.

Well if you are in the know you can take precautions...Like welding a washer to the mounting points.

My point is dude asked what kind of bars he had because he couldn't remember and you told him to scrap something that someone out there will pay money for...I know if I was asking about my bars and someone told me to scrap them I wouldn't take that as friendly advise.

Oh dude it's cool, i didn't take offense to that comment...I just laughed because there isn't many people on this board that like the ssm bars. How much are these bars even worth?

I had a 86 that ripped out the frame rail lower CA mount due to the SSM wasnt fun.
They do work when set up right but no way I would run them again unless seriious bracing was dont to the mentioned mounting area.

I always brace up that area now after that incident even though i dont run em.

i wonder if they will do anything with a modestly moded car with dr's. this car is a street car and doubtful if it will ever see the track

the design of the SSM bars is bad becasue there is no give at all- until something breaks. and it's not gonna be the bar that breaks, it's doing to be the the mounts on the frame.
look at how a 4 link suspension works- you have 4 separate links trying to travel in 4 different arcs at the same time. that's a whole lot of binding.
all the newer designs of arms have either bushings or some sort of a swivel link on one or both ends to get rid of the binding.

did ssm redo thier arms before they went under because i believe the uppers have a bushing in them, not sure about the lowers

I have lower SSM machine bars on my former car. What POS they where. First they elongated the lower frame mounts. Welded washers to fix the problem. Then the lower frame mount rips right off the frame:mad:

The one in the pics look like uppers.

If SSM was still around, I would have thrown them right through their front window.

Throw them right in the scrap pile.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com