Help me diagnose this noise - please!

Another thing that happened was the oil filter was screwed on, but not tight enough, and it puked 2 quarts as soon as I started it. Switched to a different oil filter and started it again. Also, I don't think I set the bearing clearances right, I just measured the crank diameter versus the bearing diameter and slapped it together, I was going for .0030, but I goofed that up, judging from the wear on the bearings. The crank was turned .020 under on the rods and .010 on the mains. What can I do about the oil galley plugs? Luckily, the crank has no perceptible wear on it that I can feel. Should I go over it with an emory cloth or 1000 grit?

sorry, about your buick headache, get out your micrometer, and measure all
your clearances, the mains look funny,too much wear for no miles, make sure
your line bore is straight, and the clearances on the bottom are correct.

Looks like It's me making newbie mistakes. I'm going to order new bearings and really measure everything properly. Should I get the block hot tanked again, or should I blow out all the oil passages and re-assemble? Waht about the crank, should I hit it with some super fine sand paper? I'm going to order a front cam bearing from TA performance too.

I really appreciate all the info guys, keep it coming.

Subscribed. My engine did the EXACT same thing within 500 miles. Just got it out and am sending it all to the machine shop for them to assemble this time. I'm done with assembling engines, too much room for error.

Just my thots...

1. .003" clear is way too much on that engine. About 1/2 that is GTG. [IMO anyway].
2. I would find out EXACTLY what the crank dimensions are. You may need to juggle some brg sizes to get it right. [Kinda difficult w/ an undersized crank]. The crank shop should have put the finish on the grind to a dimension that would give you the correct clearances without fudging the brgs. Did you tell them .003? Did they do that?
3. My first encounter w/ Jim Ruggles involved a 109 build. One of his very obvious rules were, "DO NOT drive welch plugs into the oil galleys. He used only very thin pipe plugs that he made.
4. Crank polishing should be done in a specific manner. The "fuzz" that the polishing belt raises, has to be laid over so that the ends are facing back from the direction of crank travel. The fuzz will then not cut into the brg surfaces. [Jim Ruggles, circa 1987].
5. The engine would come completely apart if it was mine..Too much crud floating to suit "miss picky".:biggrin:
6. As for the noise,,, Given the condition of the brgs, and your target of .003 clear, I'd say they were the source.
7. If that engine were in my shop, it would get ALL new brgs, hot tanked, ALL dimensions checked and verified, new cam/lifters, and a ft cover inspection/set up.[But, that's just an old fart being a bit anal!]:D

Thanks Chuck. I meant 002" on the bearings per my notes to the machine shop. I'm going to do exactly what you suggest. No more mistakes!